Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benitarae Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 08:02 AM
    How does a nurse get another job after being fired for mistakes?
    About 1 year ago I was fired from a clinic I loved. I'd worked there for over 2 years. I made the max # of mistakes within a 6 month period (per union contract). I had gone 2 years without any.
    The first involved HIPAA, in that one patient received another's procedure information and I had discharged the patient. The 2nd was leaving the sedation drugs in a procedure room when I was called to help in recovery. The 3rd was for failing to document for a verbal order.
    Now I could go over extenuating circumstances but it does not matter. I am responsible for my mistakes, of which my final mistake was not to fight being written up in the first place. Stupid of me, I don't know what I was thinking.
    It's been over 1 year. I've had interviews and a job I quit after 2 months as I did not feel the training was adequate and I wish to, not only keep my license, but practice nursing safely.
    My question is would a Nursing Refresher course help me get a job after being fired and being out of work for so long? I do not have hospital experience and would like to work in a hospital, but who will hire a nurse that was fired? I've been an RN since 1991 but only worked in Long Term Care for 1 year and then another industry for 15 years. Now I pick up work occasionally through a temp agency.
    Any nurses have any opinions?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 08:04 AM

Have you considered travel nursing? Could this be an option for you?

Oct 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
    Yes, but what kind of experience do I need?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 08:13 AM

Are you an RN or LPN?

Oct 7, 2010, 12:12 PM

I am an RN with clinic experience

Oct 7, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Are you an RN or LPN?
    RN with clinic experience
    candy125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Still cnt get a job even with a travel agency.might need to give up on nursing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Advice/Help On Being Fired From Job [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I went into work and found that I was being terminated. I work for a grocery/retail store as a cashier and on the sales floor. They told me I was being terminated because when I would check the customer out I would give them a coupon from our own flyer to save them a little more on the item...

Can I get a job as a nurse w/ a felony [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if in California a person w/ a felony can have a nursing career. I have not been convicted of a violent crime, but I do have a felony on my record. I plan to attend the nursing program in my area. I just want to know if I will be employable after graduation.

Job as a nurse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im a registered nurse here in the Philippines and I wanted to work abroad however I'm really having a hard time on how to inquire about it. I'm hoping that through this website someone can advise or may be help me find a job abroad. It can be any country also I am willing to work even as a...

Fired from my job at church [ 12 Answers ]

I worked for a church as their Worship Director for 3.5 years and was let go this past May. I've been married to an abusive man for 15 years, and long-story-short, I wrongly got myself involved in an emotional affair with another man... someone who understood what I was going through. Another...

Fired from my job [ 3 Answers ]

A co-worker and I got into an altercation. We were in another town, and that supervisor never said anything. So about 8 hours go bye we finish the job, and then we drive 2 hours to our dock. I went to sleep for about 4 or 5 hours, and when I get up my supervisor calls me in the office and tells...

View more questions Search