Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dezzy595 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Local Disk (C:) Properties
    I'm trying to do a disk check but when I do it manually it always exits halfway through and when I run the DOS program and physically enter chkdsk /F it says that ""access denied as you dont have sufficient privilages. You have to invoke this utility running in an elevated mode"

What does that mean?
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Oct 22, 2010, 08:59 PM

Find Command Prompt in the Start menu.
    Right click on it then select Run as Administrator.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to enter task manager and end the explorer.exe process.
    Now try to scan

If this does not help try the next at your own risk:

Open regedit.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\Session Manager
    In the right pane find "BootExecute" and edit it.
    It should say: "autocheck autochk *"
    Now change it to "Autocheck autochk /p \??\C:"
    This should schedule the chkdsk to run on startup.
    Restart and let me know of the outcome as I haven't tested this yet...

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Local Disk (C:) Properties [ 2 Answers ]

When I click on my Local Dick (C:) Properties and go to Tools, and then: check Automatically fix file system errors: I always get this message: The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained. Do you want to schedule this disk ckeck to occur the...

Lists of local properties/and houses that are up for sale at auctions for back taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to get started in finding lists of real estate (land and or houses ) that are being sold at auctions and also the ones that did not sell at the auctions... how to obtain these lists and the price to be paid for these lists... on the internet and locally... Thank You!

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I really thought that way. But when I check the contents of the remaining local disk it is still the same. I mean before I formatted the contents of d:\ drive is 18.6 GB and the C:\ drive is 7.8 MB after formatting, I really don't know where did the 7.8 MB contents of C:\ drive goes,...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly help, My laptop has 2 local disk c:\ and D:\ how can I make it just one. My C:\ DRIVE has a 7.8 MB free space I want to transfer it to D:\ DRIVE who has A 18.5 MB free space. Your Kind help is very much appreaciated. Br, Yolly

View more questions Search