Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farhanlead1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 02:37 PM
    How much tax eligible for F1 opt
    Recently I got hired as an contractor and my recruiting firm is charhing me 30% tax , my previous emplyer used to charge me only 13 % , I am on OPT can any one tell why they are charging 30%
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 7, 2010, 02:01 AM
    QUOTE," i got hired as an contractor and my recruiting firm is charhing me 30% tax , . . ."------Your employer who contract you, a F1 visa holder, as independent contractor rather than an employee will need to know the your tax status in order to properly tax and report the income. It will be your responsibility to inform your employer with whom you have contracted what your tax status is. In general, a Non Resident Alien,I gues you are, is subjected to US Tax withholding of 30% on his/her US Source Income. So, If you, as a non-resident alien, receive income other than wages, then you should file Form W-8BEN with the withholding agent toclaim a reduced rate of, or exception from, withholding under an Income Tax Treaty.
    However, if the income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, you need to file Form W-8ECI instead.
    In principle, you are not supposed to work as an independent contractor as a F-1 visa holder, but, as a substantial matter, it doesn't make any difference tax-wise, so that prohibition is usually disregarded.
    However,it, fundamentally, depends on the revenue andexpense amount that you earn and spend. If the amount is relatively small, then it would probably not be a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 OPT H1 Scenarios. 1040NR Eligible for Stimulus [ 2 Answers ]

Many CPA even Indian CPA are filing taxes for people as 1040 and makes a stimulus claim. I have a friend with a case similar to me Entry in USA F1- 2006 July Change of Visa: Opt to H1b October 2008 Fulltime Job from August 2008 to Dec 2008 and SSN/Medicare not deducted. The CPA made him to...

F1-OPT married to US Citizen (Now H1B), Tax exempt during OPT Period? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a foreigner and just got married to US Citizen this year in August. I have tax questions to ask. Here is my situation. - Start working in Feb 08 as F1-OPT Status until Sept 08. H1B effective on Oct 1st, 2008. - I got married to US Citizen in Aug 08, I am applying for Green Card...

Is F1 OPT eligible for Flexible spending account - child care? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently on F-1 OPT visa, working for a company who provides FSA. I have a son who was born in US. Am I eligible for FSA - child care expense for year 2009? Thanks.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) eligible to be employed as Assistant Professor? [ 1 Answers ]

I have Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Employment Authorization Card ((F1 VISA status). Am I eligible to be employed as an Assistant Professor at University? Thanks for answering!

Is an OPT student eligible for a tax treaty? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a graduate student between 99-05 (Dec) and used an OPT after graduation full last year (Jan 2006 - Dec 2006). Before my OPT started, actually I returned to my country for a vacation and applied for a new F-1 visa on Jan 2006 for an entry to US. So far I filed only 1040-NR using a...

View more questions Search