Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luis00 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Physics-find acceleration given angle
    A car slides down an icy driveway that slopes at an angle of 10 degrees. What is the acceleration of the car?

-Can someone explain how to do this, I'm completely lost!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 03:11 AM

The car is not running? If so, there is only one force acting on the car, which is gravity.

This is a picture I made. The force of gravity acts along the complete arrow pointing vertically downwards. However, not all the gravitational force is involved in the motion of the car. The component of this force, perpendicular to the plane contributes to the normal reaction of the car with the plane and the component acting along the plane contributes to the motion of the car.

So, the force acting on the car is given by:

From W = mg (where m is the mass of the car and g the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2)

Why sin theta?

Because

If you look at one of the triangle of forces which the gravitational force makes, mg is the hypotenuse.

Then, since

The force parallel to the plane, Fp is given by mg sin theta.

So, you have the force ().

You know that F = ma.

So, you get:

Find a.

I hope it helps! :)
    luis00 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Thanks for your response. If I use mgsin=ma then how do I find the mass if it's not given?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 PM

Well, the beautiful thing in this is that the mass is not necessary! You will see that mass will cancel out. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the magnitude of acceleration? [ 1 Answers ]

A 3 kg block starts from rest at the top of a 30 degree incline and slides a distance of 1.90m down the incline in 1.60s. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Physics Acceleration [ 2 Answers ]

A steam catapult launches a jet aircraft from the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, giving it a speed of 175 mi/h in 2.50 s. (a) Find the average acceleration of the plane. (b) Assuming that the acceleration is constant, find the distance the plane moves. Need explanation. Thanks

Physics in acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

A runner covers the last straight stretch of a race in 4 s. During that time he speeds up from 5ms to 9ms. What is the unner acceleration in this part of race?

Physics, finding speed, velocity and acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find velocity speed and acceleration. How do I label the problems when I am done.

View more questions Search