Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhickey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Rocket sound in plumbing system
    We moved into our house 4 years ago. The house is 22 years old, with copper pipes. Since we moved in, we have heard a strange engine or rocket-like sound coming from the walls below the upstairs bathroom. It actually sounds a lot like a really loud, short blast of white noise moving through the pipes. It used to happen only in a while, but has been happening more frequently lately, often going every 20 seconds or so for half an hour at a time. It only happens when there is no water running anywhere in the house, usually starting 10 to 30 minutes after the last time a faucet was open.

The higher frequency of noises started soon after I replaced a leaky cartridge in the shower faucet last week, but the sound is the same as before. There is no hammering, clicking, groaning or ringing, just short rocket blast sounds.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 12:59 PM

Plumbing sounds can be a bear to track. Lets start by looking at that cartridge. Do you have lintegral shut offs so you can take the shower valve out of the loop or do you have to shut the main
    mhickey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    No integral shut offs. I have to shut off the main.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 05:08 PM

That make4s it a bit tougher to isolate the shower since I am sure you did not save the old cartridge, maybe you can exchange the cartridge you have. Do this only if the sound started right after the install and never before. Also don't type in the comment box, use the ANSWER THIS QUESTION box below

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Howling sound in plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for the last answer.we have changed pressure reducers on both Houses supplied of the same service line,since we changed the neighbors Pressure reducer the sound is getting more frequent. The problem all Started when the water meter was changed.The sound comes when different Faucets are...

No system sound [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I can't hear any system sound it was OK a few months ago but now nothing, I can still play cds and hear them perfectly. So I know my speakers are working, I have checked the cables and mute volume and all are fine. My operating system is xp. Hope someone can help please Regards

How do I get the sound system [ 2 Answers ]

Check to see if the sound card is properly recognized by the PC. Go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Sound, video, and game controllers To make sure it shows the devices and drivers something like the attached image. But, nothing happens... Please help me solve the...

Ship sound/plumbing in house vibrates [ 5 Answers ]

When any faucet in the house is turned off, or the toilet flushed, or the washing machine finishes a rinse cycle, etc. we get the ship sound/vibrating in the pipes in the house. I read the post about a toilet flapper, but ours happens with any source of water in the house, up or downstairs...

View more questions Search