Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 08:32 AM
    "Gift" registry
    Just when I think I've heard of everything I get a wedding invitation which includes a gift registry card. The gift registry card lists a website.

The website explains that the bride and groom have everything they need and so they are asking people to contribute to a "honeyfund" to pay for their honeymoon at a resort.

For example, one breakfast at X is $30 and they are asking for 7 (apparently they are going to be there 7 mornings). Then there's a little box for you to give this gift and another little box which counts down the number of these items that they still "need."

Another items is "7 nights, drinks at the bar" at $25 each.

The room, of course, is a separate line item.

AIRFARE to the resort is one of the items.

I have never heard of anything so tasteless. Is it just me or is this a common practice now? I'm honestly shocked. This isn't a wedding. This is a fundraiser.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Just when I think I've heard of everything I get a wedding invitation which includes a gift registry card. The gift registry card lists a website.

The website explains that the bride and groom have everything they need and so they are asking people to contribute to a "honeyfund" to pay for their honeymoon at a resort.

For example, one breakfast at X is $30 and they are asking for 7 (apparently they are going to be there 7 mornings). Then there's a little box for you to give this gift and another little box which counts down the number of these items that they still "need."

Another items is "7 nights, drinks at the bar" at $25 each.

The room, of course, is a separate line item.

AIRFARE to the resort is one of the items.

I have never heard of anything so tasteless. Is it just me or is this a common practice now? I'm honestly shocked. This isn't a wedding. This is a fundraiser.

I too have never heard of such a thing. It almost seems tacky. Not to mention it puts people (their quests) in an awkward position. A position where they might feel obligated.

I wounder if they will be able to go on this trip?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 08:48 AM

If you read daily advice columns in the newspaper, you will know that this is becoming the "thing" to do. So many couples have lived together long enough that they already have the toaster and the bedding and the knicks-knacks, OR they have lived in their separate apartments/houses/condos and have accumulated all their needs for daily living. Some wedding invitations include a card that says (blatantly) "cash only" (meaning, as payment for your meal at the reception).*

Should I tell you about baby shower invitations?

*Dear Abby says send the couple a nice card.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 18, 2010, 12:12 PM

I saw this when I married 3 years ago and feared it would become a trend.

It screams tacky in my opinion. What happened to not having a honeymoon if you couldn't afford one? There is no way I'd contribute to that. If I choose to give anything, it'd be a check/cash and they can use it however they'd wish... perhaps on the debt they might have went into for the wedding. ;)
    Truelove08 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
    I don't really think its tacky and I believe if you're like my boyfriend and I who's lived together for three years and already has everything that its something else people can do and they can chose to do it or not. I know a lot of people like to buy the toasters and beddings and such but that's all to go towards things the couples needs well if the couple doesn't need anything and paid for this wedding and then can't go on a honeymoon yet have a bunch of gifts lying around they can't use because lets face it nowadays returning things is ridiculous. So they're saying hey if you want to buy us something why don't you help us go on a honeymoon. I know its not traditional but then again times change way back in the old days they did hand fasting and I'm sure very few of you actually know what a hand fasting is.but weddings have changed from that to big fancy churches and tons of money for the reception and everything else. But its all just my opinion.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 02:19 PM

I agree - extremely tacky and particularly to include it in the wedding invitation. I'd be tempted to respond, "cannot make it - the admission fee is beyond my budget" - but that would be tacky too, so I wouldn't.

I really hate this new trend of putting advertisements and other forms of begging into invitations. For me, this is righ up there with the also lovely "screw the rest of you,this is my day to be a princess diva" attitude that seems to now be increasingly the norm for childish brides. Ugh!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 12:09 AM

At my wedding we will probably be asking the guests to pay for their own meals at the reception (if we do not have enough money by then) so will be putting on the invitation "In leiu of gifts the bride and groom ask that you pay for your meals, cost will be $30"

If that's tacky, then I guess we will be having a tacky wedding because we simply cannot afford to pay for everything, neither can our parents.

IF the bride and groom at the wedding Judy posted are paying for the meals at the reception and not asking for gifts I dn't really see a problem with asking for people to help with their honeymoon.
    It's a tradition to buy gifts for a wedding and not everyone wants 10 toasters and 43 towel sets so doing a registry makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

"In Trust For" bank account -Gift tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any gift tax implications for creating,funding and/or withdrawing funds from an "In Trust For" (ITF) bank account . Are there special rules for an account in New York State ?

Rehearsal dinner gift declined as "not good enough" [ 7 Answers ]

My 30 year old son is marrying his 29 year old live-in girlfriend. They live 1.5 hours from us and 6 hours from her parents. As my oldest son, he was very happy and wanted us to get along well. After two visits to our home, we felt that he was in the hands of a master manipulator. On their...

Removing "Advanced Registry Optimizer" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Quite a while ago I installed the above and trialed it. Now when I try to uninstall all I get is the following message. "c:\ Program Files\ Advanced Registry Optimizer\unins000.dat" Could anyone offer some advice please.

View more questions Search