Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creid59 View Post
    ... I'm not sure what contractual language in the contract the magistrate is talking about, he never told me. This is an appeal without a jury.
    An appeal usually means that the higher court is asked to reverse the lower court because the lower court made some sort of a mistake. As I twice told you, it doesn't usually mean that you get to re-try the case before the appellate court. But it could be depending on the applicable appellate rules.

One basis for appeal might be that the magistrate failed to explain himself. He threw out the contract without explanation. Also, with respect to rental situations, you should be entitled to the reasonable value of the rental, for the rental period, whether there was a valid lease.

A dismissal "without prejudice" means that you aren't allowed to simply re-file the case and try again.
    creid59 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks so much for your advice. The judgement was dismissed with prejudice. What does that mean?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 10:09 PM
    Thanks so much for your advice. The judgement was dismissed with prejudice. What does that mean?
    Oh, sorry, I meant to write just the opposite:

A dismissal "with prejudice" means that you aren't allowed to simply re-file the case and try again. That's what I should have written. :o

Nov 16, 2010, 02:41 PM

Can I sue the townships prosecutor for failing to do her job in a criminal case, where I and my roommate was assaulted by my x-boyfriend who came to my house unannounced. He won his case because he had a mover and shaker atty who I have to say really painted a good pic of me being the controller. The prosecutor and did not subpoena any of my witnesses as they were suppose to. When she did not cross examine my x her questions were dry, and she showed unconcern, as if she had not prepared for the case. I told her if he won this case he would continue to email, drive by, call me etc... sure enough that's what he did. I start getting emails the next day, and drive by's. I called her office to report this, she sounded unconcerned. Left messages with her boss, have not received a call back yet. Maybe I'll talk to the city counsel, or Mayor or even the media. HELP!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Can I sue the townships prosecutor for failing to do her job in a criminal case, where I and my roommate was assaulted by my x-boyfriend who came to my house unannounced. He won his case because he had a mover and shaker atty who I have to say really painted a good pic of me being the controller. The prosecutor and did not subpoena any of my witnesses as they were suppose to. When she did not cross examine my x her questions were dry, and she showed unconcern, as if she had not prepared for the case. I told her if he won this case he would continue to email, drive by, call me etc... sure enough that's what he did. I start getting emails the next day, and drive by's. I called her office to report this, she sounded unconcerned. Left messages with her boss, have not received a call back yet. Maybe I'll talk to the city counsel, or Mayor or even the media. HELP!!!
    You can try... but YOU are going to have to pay out thousands (possibly tens of thousands of dollars) for legal representation to do it, and you would have an uphill battle and might still lose. Do you have that much?

Nov 16, 2010, 04:35 PM

No, I don't have thousands of $$ to waist on such a looser. Too bad my tax $$ are going to support her. How about if I file a complaint with her boss, at least he will know what I feel about the case and maybe there have been other complaints on her. Maybe this will open her boss' eyes and actually discipline her. Worth a try or not?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 05:23 PM

Only you can decide if its worth spending your scarce money on.

Personally, I think it's a lost cause, They didn't get into that position by not being really good at winning. You not only have to have enough evidence... you are going to have to have a lawyer that even better than they are... that can convince a jury... and what would winning get you in the end? And how would you pay the legal fees you are certain to run up. And you won't be fighting that in small claims court.

Its your choice... but give that some thought first. And remember, they are already a Prosecuter for the township... the hurdle you would have to jump is going to be higher than usual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a law firm collect on a judgement if I am already paying on another judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement with Citibank that I am curently making payments on. Capital One just obtained a judgement against me. I have a wage hearing with the judge in a few weeks. Can Capital one collect on this judgement since I am already paying on one already?

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

View more questions Search