Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Splicing #4 Wire
    I am relocating a subpanel to a new location and the existing #4 wire is too short by a few feet. I would rather splice a new piece of wire to it an extend the wire than replace the whole cable as its pricey. What do I use to accomplish this? Is this permitted by the NEC?

Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Yes, splicing wire is allowed by the NEC, providing the splices are made up properly using the correct wire connectors, contained in a properly size junction box with the proper cover, and that the box is accessible.

If you need to know what parts are needed, we need to know exactly what type of wire, raceway, etc you have or want to extend.
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 12:15 PM

It is 3c#4 copper wire sized for a 70 amp breaker. It is encased in a grey plastic jacket. Does that describe it well?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Need a 8" x 8" x 6" junction box, PVC would work fine.

Connectors for the cable you have, 1" two screw squeeze.

Insulated mechanical wire connectors with two ports sized to handle two #4 copper wire. Various styles are available in different areas, so this needs to be confirmed. Connecting these wires are the critical part of the job. Loose, poor connections create power failures and fires.

You need to be sure all cable connectors are tight, but not crushing the cable, no exposed copper after inserting into the mechanical wire connectors.

The box needs to be accessible, not hidden in any way.

You mention 3 wire, I hope this is plus ground for a total of 4 wires in the cable. Code now require 4 wire cable for this feeder.

You could use #2-4 SER cable with aluminum wire, follow instructions for terminating, and replace the entire cable. Aluminum works fine and is much cheaper than copper.

This is wise code requirement to consider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire splicing [ 2 Answers ]

What do I use to splice 6 gauge romex to 6 gauge THHN wire in a junction box? Thanks in advance

Splicing 220 Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 220VAC window air conditioning unit and I would like to shorten the cord considerably. Is it safe to use a butt splice on 220VAC? I think the cord is 12 gauge.

Splicing 220 volt 6 ga. Wire [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: In regards to question asked by 1936 roadster on oct.7 2007 @ 11:34pm. I have a 220 volt 50 amp. 6 ga. 4 conductor electric wire that is about 6 feet to short to reach new location. Does the nec permit in line splices? Do they have to be staggered? Do they have to be enclosed. This line...

Wire Splicing for landscape lighting [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased 100' of 14 gauge wire (includes ground wire) for some exterior landscape lights. However, because the wire is much thicker than the wire that came with the landscape light kit the pins on the light connectors will not penetrate the thicker wire. Because I had already submerged...

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

View more questions Search