Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dirtbox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Ant like creatures in a swedish highrise building
    Hey there,
    I have an apartment on the seventh floor in a city in the south of Sweden. For the past 2 month I've been plagued by insects in my kitchen. Physically the insects look exactly like ants, although a little bit smaller than the typical ant. They're about 2 to 3 millimeters in length, their bodies almost transparent, and the last segment (the one furthest from the head) is striped, across the body. The color is a redish kind of yellow.
    I've been finding individual bugs all over the kitchen, and when leaving out something with scraps of food on also in greater numbers. Once I lifted a bottle cap and there where an entire group of perhaps 20 of them under there, and just the other day as I picked up a used fork I found a fork-shaped collection of them underneath.
    I'm wondering if this actually is ants, or what else they might be. I haven't found them in flour or anything like dry that, just roaming where there is scraps of food left.

Help me please, should I call the exterminators?

/Fredrik
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 31, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Fredrik,

Let me suggest that before you call an exterminator that you thoroughly clean your kitchen and keep it clean.

You can exterminate all you wish, but if you continue to leave these tiny morsels out for the insects, they will come back.

Cleanliness is the key here. If you don't provide their "treats" they will probably not come into your kitchen and seek their food elsewhere.

If keeping the kitchen clean does not work, then it may be time to call an exterminator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ok: dinosaurs and creatures (90's) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok first movie I can't remember: A boy has all these toy dinosaurs and then somehow they come alive? I just remember his house being really nice and the dinosaurs like playing with his remote control car. Ehh? Second: Ok so little creatures that were really cute, in like a pet store? And the...

Ant spray in the refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, During the last influx of ants I sprayed clove herbal non-toxic sray in the freezer to kill the ants that had crept in there. Well, the ants died and have stayed away, but the noxious taste of clove spray is on everything in the fridge and freezer. The stuff obviously got into the vent...

Samsum ant (pachycondyla) [ 3 Answers ]

I am writing this from Oman (in the middle east). I have an ant problem in my house that I acquired when I bought a couple of potted plants. I think it is the samsum ant (pachycondyla sennaarensis). It has a very painful stinger and gives my wife an urticarial reaction & sometimes a wheeze. I have...

View more questions Search