Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rosebudxiaojie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Is the overseas income of a H-b worker taxable?
    If a H-1b visa holder works full time in US and runs a business of his own in Hong Kong, is the income from Hong Kong taxable in US?
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 5, 2010, 02:43 AM
    QUOTE," Is the overseas income of a H-b worker taxable?"---It depends on whether he is categorized as a Resident Alien or a Non Resident Alien for tax purposes(Under the US Tax Code, not under the US INS Rules). If he is a non resident alien for tax purposes, then he is only taxed on his income from the US, US base income. However, if he qualifies as a resident alien for tax purposes, then he is taxed on income both from inside, and outside, the US, in this case his income in H.K.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas inherited property taxable [ 2 Answers ]

My father died few years ago left old house (was part of family for over 100 years) to me, my brother and mother and we finally sold the house. This is in overseas country and neither my father or mom is US resident. I want to bring my share of the inheritance to this country. Do I have to pay...

Taxable and non-taxable income in 2008 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have already asked this question, but I made a mistake, So here it is as it supposed to be: Briefly my situation: I and my wife came to the USA in September, 2006. I have J1 visa- scholar (from the very beginning) and my wife J2, we are citizens of Poland. We have never left the USA...

Can a overseas GS worker depreciate his home in the States [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U. S. Federal Empoyee that is stationed overseas, and I receive a non-taxable housing allowance for the place I am renting while overseas. However, I have a home in Virginia that is unoccupied and due to the homeowner rules cannot be used as rental property. Under these circumstances may I...

Can a overseas GS worker depreciate his home in the States [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U. S. Federal Empoyee that is stationed overseas, and I receive a non-taxable housing allowance for the place I am renting while overseas. However, I have a home in Virginia that is unoccupied and due to the homeowner rules cannot be used as rental property. Under these circumstances may I...

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

View more questions Search