Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czepp Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Only 2/16 colours with Standard PCI Graphics Card
    I was given a free PC (my first) and the hard drive had been formated. It is running Win98SE, the graphics card is described as being a Standard PCI Graphics Adaptor. It will only give me 2/16 colours. I was told that installing updated drivers for the chipset (VIA VT8501 Apoll MVP4) would solve this problem. I tried this but the setup program from the downloaded drivers will not work. When I checked the setup log I had this message:

S3Setup v1.00.44-M7/1.00.44-MS/1.00.09-NB/1.00.03-SS/1.00.24-M5/1.00.01-TW
    BAllowReboot is TRUE
    BSilentReboot is TRUE
    BPromptReboot is TRUE
    BPromptSilentReboot is FALSE
    VendorID to find:1023

Does any one have any ideas? Please help me I've been trying to sort this for 2 weeks.
    Thanks in advance
    Czepp
    the_m0053 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 06:58 AM
    What exactly do you mean by 2/16 colors? Do you mean 16 bit?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Ok, That means that Windows did not recognize the graphics card so set it up as a the default standard. You need to determine exactly what graphics adapter is in the PC and make sure you have the correct drivers for it. It appears that what you were told is incorrect.

Dec 31, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_m0053
    What exactly do you mean by 2/16 colors? Do you mean 16 bit?
    No, the PC is running 32bit. When I try to change display settings I'm only given the options for 2colour or 16colour. I know that the previous owner did have 256 colours at least

Dec 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, That means that Windows did not recognize the graphics card so set it up as a the default standard. You need to determine exactly what graphics adapter is in the PC and make sure you have the correct drivers for it. It appears that what you were told is incorrect.
    I'm not sure I know what the graphics adaptor is. Is the Trident listed below? As I said I'm new to computers so I'm learning as I go. I downloaded a system scan thingy and what I think is the relevant information is below:

CPU TYPE CYRIX 6x86 MX/MII 150 MHZ
    MOBO PCCHIPS M585LMR (HSIN TECH)
    CHIPSET VIA VT8501 APOLLO MVP4
    NORTH BRIDGE VIA VT8501 APOLLO MVP4
    SOUTH BRIDGE TRIAL VERSION
    SYST MEM TRIAL VERSION
    BIOS TYPE AWARD MODULAR (06/23/99) 2A5LHH0CC-00
    VIDEO ADPTOR STANDARD PCI GRAPHICS ADAPTOR (VGA)
    3D ACCELERATOR TRIDENT BLADE3D i7
    MONITOR PLUG+PLAY

And as nothing listed here is described as a graphics adaptor does that mean I don't have one?
    Thanks

Dec 31, 2006, 08:17 AM
    It could be the Trident but its not clear. I don't know where you are getting that list, but its picking up the installed drivers not the actual hardware. If the video is a separate card, you may be able to find the model on the card. If its on the motherboard, then you need to check the specs for the motherboard.

Dec 31, 2006, 08:28 AM
    It could be the Trident but its not clear. I don't know where you are getting that list, but its picking up the installed drivers not the actual hardware. If the video is a separate card, you may be able to find the model on the card. If its on the motherboard, then you need to check the specs for the motherboard.
    Wow that was quick. OK the Motherboard specs are:

CPU Type Cyrix 6x86MX/MII, 120 MHz (2 x 60) PR150
    Motherboard Name PCChips M585LMR
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8501 Apollo MVP4
    System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    BIOS Type Award Modular (06/23/99)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)

I've looked inside the box and there doesn't seem to be anything that says it's a graphics card. This info is coming from Everest download. Is there anyway of finding what the hardware is as I think PC was rebuilt before given to me?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 31, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Down load this --run it and your card will be listed under display.
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

Dec 31, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    down load this --run it and your card will be listed under display.
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit
    The Everest program he used is similar to Belarc. But Belarc won't do it either. Belarc doesn't actually read the hardware, it reads the System info showing installed drivers.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 31, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Ahh thanks for the heads up. Tis sweet to learn.

Dec 31, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by czepp
    Wow that was quick. OK the Motherboard specs are:

CPU Type Cyrix 6x86MX/MII, 120 MHz (2 x 60) PR150
    Motherboard Name PCChips M585LMR
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8501 Apollo MVP4
    System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    BIOS Type Award Modular (06/23/99)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)

I've looked inside the box and there doesnt seem to be anything that says its a graphics card. This info is coming from Everest download. Is there anyway of finding what the hardware is as I think PC was rebuilt before given to me?
    The video is onboard unless they added a graphics card. If they did you would be plugging the monitor into a peripheral board which would be obvious.

I tried looking for the drivers at PC Chips WEB site:
    PCCHIPS Web Site
    But, while I found the motherboard model it was unclear. I suggest you contact their tech support for a link to the correct drivers.

Dec 31, 2006, 11:14 AM
    The video is onboard unless they added a graphics card. If they did you would be plugging the monitor into a peripheral board which would be obvious.

I tried looking for the drivers at PC Chips WEB site:
    PCCHIPS Web Site
    but, while I found the motherboard model it was unclear. I suggest you contact their tech support for a link to the correct drivers.
    Thanks anyway but it doesn't matter, I fixed it.
    I downloaded drivers from VIA and although it would'nt let me install them through the wizard I did it manually through the display set up and it worked. If I'd thought of that 3 days ago this thread would never of happened.
    Thanks for your help!

Dec 31, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Glad you got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graphics card choices [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4B7B http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49NK http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=45DW Will upgrade system some time, I've been looking around for more graphics cards and have narrowed it down to these... I think. I've...

New Graphics Card [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9800pro. I want a new AGP graphics card with a good performance increase from this for about £100. PCI-E is out of the question so don't bother. Also the graphics on my MOBO is DDR, will other types of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 graphics cards work on this? The MOBO is an Abit V-10.

Graphics Card Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I recently purchased a GeForce 6200 256MB AGP graphics card for online gaming. The card works fine as do the games but I am no longer able to use windows live (msn) messenger or some other software that has video clips in it. The computer just freezes when I try to launch the messenger. Also...

Need help with a new graphics card [ 4 Answers ]

OK the help I need is some generous soul to lend me $1999 for This Stonker !!!. I'll even time share it if you want ;)

Wireless pci card [ 6 Answers ]

I was searching for this post but I couldn't find anything on the topic I know this is a stupid question and some of you might flame me for me, but I just ordered a laptop and forgot to put a wireless chip in it, as of now I do not need the wireless but I was wondering if it is still possible...

View more questions Search