Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Naragucci Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
    BUT what does it mean when the check engine light is on too... est and check engine?

Oct 4, 2010, 12:29 PM
    Chevy cavalier Z24; where is the transmission dipstick?
    I have found the location to fill the trany fluid; but not the dipstick. My manual says that having too much or not enough is both a "bad thing". However I have spent a lot of time (as well as a few other people) trying to the dipstick and have had no luck. My mannual says it should be 'red', my oil is yellow and I can't find the transmission fluid dipstick. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you in advance.

Oct 4, 2010, 12:32 PM
    To anyone who acknowledges my question about the transmission dipstick
    Sorry; but I guess it would have helped to tell you that my engine is a 2.4L
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 12:39 PM

Do not start a new poste each time you want to add something. Type in the ANSWER THIS QUESTION box each time to keep this all one thread
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 01:01 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ce-482057.html
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 01:04 PM

The check engine light means that the inernal computer of the car has detected an error. It's common for the CEL to come on when there is a problem due to a fault in emissions controls, but nor always. By law, all car manufacturers adhere to a set list of fault codes, which you can access using an OBD II (On Board Diagnostics, generation 2) reader, which plugs into the OBD port under the driver's-side dash. You can get an OBD reader at any auto parts store, but actually most auto parts stores will plug in a reader and get the diagnostic code for free. Or take the car to any mechanic.

Oct 4, 2010, 10:03 PM
    Comment on Naragucci's post
    After asking a mechanic he informed me that caviliers are famous for not having dipsticks in them. There is a red cap to add the fluid but no actual dipstick. He says that the transmission fluid should not have to be touched until the light comes on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check engine soon light [ 3 Answers ]

The check engine light soon light keeps coming on on my 97 plymouth voyageur.last time it did it, it was a stuck pollution valve, ( it had an evap code ) so they unstuck it, it is now back on why does it do this?

Check engine light [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has a 2001 Nissan Altima and her service engine light just came on today. I took it to Auto Zone and they diagnosed this with the troubleshooting code of P0420 OEM Brand: OBDII Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1. What causes this and how is this fixed. I would like some kind of...

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

My check engine light came on four days ago. The car still runs well. The light comes on every time I start and drive it for more than 3 minutes. Also where is the diag port if there is one. Bought the car used and its my first Honda.

Engine Check Light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 96 Dodge Neon. Engine Check light came on. I had someone from Autozone check it using some sort of scan tool. Code said it is Cylinder #1 misfire. After the scan test. Engine Check Light came off. Does it mean it is fixed or it was reset? What could cause it to Cylnder #1...

View more questions Search