Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poetsensei Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 10:02 AM
    ETG Test 63 hours
    Dr Bill, I`m a 225 lb man. I drank on a Fri night till midnight, about 8 drinks and had to take an ETG test at 3 pm the following Monday 63 hours later. What are my chances of testing positive. Thanks Mike

Oct 4, 2010, 10:43 AM
    EtG test 63 hours
    By the way the court uses a 500 ml cut off
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/addict...rs-473324.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/addict...rs-475614.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/addict...rs-458746.html

Will these help you?

Your question would be better answered with a little more details, so I have simply posted what a few other threads have had for answers.Hope they help.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 04:01 PM

Your question is unanswerable without the amount of alcohol consumed.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 04:40 PM

With 8 drinks, last at midnight, you're running damn close. The problem you encounter is that EtG is produced during the metabolism of the drinks which continues after you cease consumption. So let's say that you still had 3-4 drinks still coursing through your system. That could take 4.5-6 hours and EtG is still being produced. So you could be down to 57 hours clearance time or even less due to reduced metabolic rate while sleeping.

However, there is extreme variation between individuals in EtG production. Additionally, I'm assuming you have some history in drinking and that usually accelerates ethanol metabolism by about 19-23% (once again average). So any way you look at it you're on the cusp.

Best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 04:52 PM

Yes it is very close, I have to wonder why you drink knowing you have to test

Oct 4, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Didn`t know

Oct 4, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Poetsenei 500 ng/ml cut off
    Dr Bill, I`m a 225 lb man. I drank on a Fri night till midnight, about 8 drinks and had to take an ETG test at 3 pm the following Monday 63 hours later. What are my chances of testing positive. The court uses a 500 nl cut off-wouldnt that increase my chances?
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 06:11 PM

Do you know if this is an on-site test, as in a dip stick, or cup? Those are available now for EtG and are less precise than Gas Chromatography.

In direct response to your question, yes 500 cutoff is much better than the unofficial lab standard of 100.

However, I was basing my observation on a 500 test, one of the few naturalistic tests available. In that test involving consumption of 5 drinks (1.5 oz) none of the results were positive after 48 hours. This involved only a few individuals however. So you're still in that fringe area either way. But the higher the cutoff the less likely detection.

Each time you ask a question I am winding up on a different thread although they're all related. I don't know if it's me, you or the site?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 06:19 PM

<threads merged>

Oct 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    I don`t know how they process the test. The different threads are my fault. I`m new to the site still finding my way. Do you know of any organisations that are fighting the use of pseudo science by the courts?
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 08:29 PM

"Do you know of any organisations that are fighting the use of psuedo science by the courts?"

There are several organizations combating the lack of uniformity in testing as well as interpretation of low level returns. Most are in the medical field. I can't find my list, which is a little dated anyway. Suggest you search "EtG false positive" and you'll probably be surprised at the number. There are, or were, lawsuits pending in 4 or 5 states, and a SAMHSA Advisory recommending limits on the use of the test is still in effect and a must read. (see Advisory, Oct 2006)

Likewise, here is a link to a 2008 lawsuit available on line that points out the lack of forensic value and also contains the testimony of Dr. Greg Skipper, who introduced the test in the US. (see Ohio case)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 08:52 PM

To the OP... please do not use the Comments feature to respond. Scroll on down to the Answer this question box to post further info.
    PandaB Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
    I will be doing an experiment. Im going to drink 3 beers on Friday night, stopping at midnight. Im then going to have a normal weekend i.e. no excessive exercise or massive amounts of water drinking. Im going to self pay for an ETG test at noon on Monday (60 hrs). The cut off will be 100ug, I'll let you guys know the results. Im basing this on the research from http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/1/55.full.pdf+html. I officially sign a contract next week and am looking to test the true accuracy of the EtG test.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2010, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaB View Post
    i will be doing an experiment. Im going to drink 3 beers on friday night, stopping at midnight. Im then going to have a normal weekend ie, no excessive excercise or massive amounts of water drinking. Im going to self pay for an ETG test at noon on monday (60 hrs). The cut off will be 100ug, I'll let you guys know the results. Im basing this on the research from... looking to test the true accuracy of the etg test.
    The test you cite, like most of the research, deals with heavy consumption. To assist you in your experiment you may also want to review Wojcik & Hawthorne as well as Borucki, 2005 (not sure if this is available on-line). Wojcik (2007) deals with lower levels of consumption, in a naturalistic setting and using an independent testing lab. Quite similar to what you are attempting to do. Hope this helps and anxious to hear your results.

Oct 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Thanks dr.bill, I never saw the Wojcik article. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to verify the research on myself, cause after all the excretion of MY EtG is what's going to be tested for in the future.

For those people that are thinking, "if you arent supposed to drink, then just dont drink"... im a social drinker. I drink MAYBE once every 2 weeks in social settings, and even then its 1-2 beers. Im going to test with 3 just to be 100% sure that when I drink the 1-2 in the future, I will be OK. If I can pass with 3, there will be no doubt I can pass with 1-2. Im being monitored because of some mistakes by others in my workplace... which I don't think that is fair at all. I should have results at the end of next week (oct 22ish), which will be reported here.

Oct 18, 2010, 12:11 PM
    I submitted my urine sample today. I drank 4 beers over the course of 4 hours on Friday night, and stopped at 12:30am Saturday. I submitted at urine sample at 1:30pm Monday. This is 61 hours. I did not exercise or drink more fluid than usual. I did not consume any alcohol after 12:30am Saturday.

Based on the research Ive found, I anticipate my test to be negative for ETG. The cutoff the lab is using is 100ng/ml (50ng/ml for EtS). I am a healthy male in my late 20s and in relatively good shape. If this test is indeed negative, I might set up another test at around the 24hr mark.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaB View Post

....Based on the research Ive found, I anticipate my test to be negative for ETG. The cutoff the lab is using is 100ng/ml (50ng/ml for EtS). I am a healthy male in my late 20s and in relatively good shape. If this test is indeed negative, I might set up another test at around the 24hr mark.
    I agree that this test should be negative. I'd be surprised if it were not. However, 4 or even three drinks at 24 hr. will in all likelihood be positive.

Also you should adjust the time interval because even after you consume the last drink of alcohol EtG is still being generated. EtG (and EtS) begins descending only upon completion of the ethanol metabolism. "0" BAC.

A further complicating factor is that your personal metabolism will vary from time to time, dependent on mood, food and other variables. Presumably, those factors would also cause EtG production to be variable, although there are no studies to support that assumption.

Oct 26, 2010, 07:22 AM
    I got my test results back. After drinking 4 beers in 4 hrs on a Friday night (stopped at 12:30am sat), I tested negative for ETG and ETS around 60 hrs later (1pm monday). During the 60 hrs, I did not do anything special. I didn't run 10 miles, I didn't drink 10 gallons of water, however I did avoid alcohol.

All I wanted to accomplish was to see if my social drinking would be detectable in an abstinance program. Now I have confirmatory results for my body. The test result paper sent to physicians had information about ETG different than their website, I'll type it here when I get home.

Oct 26, 2010, 07:24 PM
    "Consumption of 20 to 33 fl oz of beer (4.2% w/v) resulted in urinary EtG concentrations of 22,000 to 67,000 ng/mL at 3 hrs. EtG can be routinely quantified in urine for about 20 hours after a single drink of an ethanol containing beverage. EtS has been routinely quantified in urine 24 hrs after a single drink of an ethanol-containing beverage. However it is reported that these compounds can be detected in urine for up to 80 hrs after heavy ethanol consumption"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass EtG test after 59 hours? [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 6ft 3in 230 lbs I been drinking water for the last 3 hours my test is tomorrow by 11am... I drank last on Monday at 3am I have also been taking creatine and a detox pill I plan waking up early and running and sweatting allot will this be enough to pass

Has anyone failed an EtG test after 80 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever failed an ETG test after 80 hours? It says it can go back 80 hours 3-5 days, so let me rephrase this, has anyone failed an ETG test with more than 80 hours since there last drink?

Will I pass EtG test after 62 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

Saturday I drank about 12 beers, stopping at approx. 2:00 am. Im a healthy 125 lb female with a fast metabolism. I am taking an EtG test Tuesday at about 4:45 pm. Do you think I will pass? (That would be about 62 hours after consuption.)

View more questions Search