Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaB View Post
    "Consumption of 20 to 33 fl oz of beer (4.2% w/v) resulted in urinary EtG concentrations of 22,000 to 67,000 ng/mL at 3 hrs. EtG can be routinely quantified in urine for about 20 hours after a single drink of an ethanol containing beverage. EtS has been routinely quantified in urine 24 hrs after a single drink of an ethanol-containing beverage. However it is reported that these compounds can be detected in urine for up to 80 hrs after heavy ethanol consumption"
    Noting the quotes, where did this come from?
    PandaB Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
    It was printed on my lab results from Quest Diagnostics
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2010, 08:15 PM

That is a bit disappointing. The named lab is one of the leading laboratories in the US and has no need to engage in that type of vague and ambiguous promotional narrative.
    PandaB Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
    I think what they wrote is commendable. The lab websites usually promote EtG as "can detect alcohol use for 80hrs" or some variation of that. Quest pretty much says what you knew, and what I now know, about EtG... 80hrs is only for heavy drinking. But I agree, there really are a lot of variables to consider in EtG testing/limits
    lionel11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 06:59 AM
    I had 2- 6 packs of heineken and about 12 of those airplane small bottles of vodka between Friday and Saturday... I had an alcohol urine test 9-days later, would it show positive after 9-days?
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lionel11 View Post
    i had 2- 6 packs of heineken and about 12 of those airplane small bottles of vodka between friday and saturday.........i had an alcohol urine test 9-days later, would it show positive after 9-days?
    No. If you survived that drinking episode the EtG wouldn't be there after 9 days.
    Cardiac RN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
    I am a registered nurse on probation for one dui with the nursing board. If you want true results of ETG testing read this article. They could not get a positive result after 48 or 72 hours. The only positive results were before 48 hours and they did not test for diluting urine which does dramatically reduce ETG which is a water soluble protein. So if you drank Saturday and drank a substantial amount of water Sunday and Monday morning. Then testing Monday afternoon you will pass with no problem. I do know this from experience. http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/4/317.full

ETG testing is so flawed. Women have the hardest time with positive ETG tests and dilute urines. I am a male by the way but I do see this frequently.
    sonni99 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jul 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Cardiac RN - I am on probation as well for a DUI (46yr. Female) so what do you mean by "women have the hardest time with positive ETG tests and dilute urines", is there something I should know? Also, how do you know what type of test they did on you (did not test for diluting urine). I appreciate your response.

Jul 2, 2012, 08:33 PM
    From what I have read and seen since the 2 years I have been on probation is that women have more problems w dilute urines so they are more afraid to drink plenty of water. The reason women have more problems with dilute urine is creatine is used by muscles which put off a by product called creatnine. Creatnine is used as a marker for dilution. If you are worried about dilution you can pick up creatine powder at most health food and nutrition stores. Mix it with your water during the day and you should have a better chance of avoiding dilution.

Jul 3, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Cardiac

You mentioned you have been on probation for 2 yrs (is this directly from the dui)? Also, what type of urine schedule did they put you on (random, monthly, etc.). This is my first time for random urine tests and I am not taking any chances, a drink or two, is not worth what could happen to me.

Jul 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sonni99 View Post
    Cardiac

You mentioned you have been on probation for 2 yrs (is this directly from the dui)? Also, what type of urine schedule did they put you on (random, monthly, etc.). This is my first time for random urine tests and I am not taking any chances, a drink or two, is not worth what could happen to me.
    Exactly. I get tested 3x month. Don't drink. I'm not telling anyone to drink. I am just giving out info I have found to be true regarding these highly flawed ETG tests. It sucks being on 3 years probation that is far stricter then most parolees get for a one time misdemeanor DUI, but I am dealing w it. There are so many people out there that talk about these tests and have no clue what they are talking about. So I read and researched and here it is. Good luck and I recommend keeping clean and getting it over with. It goes fairly fast.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2012, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac RN View Post
    Exactly. I get tested 3x month. Dont drink. I'm not telling anyone to drink. I am just giving out info I have found to be true regarding these highly flawed ETG tests. It sucks being on 3 years probation that is far stricter then most parolees get for a one time misdemeanor DUI, but I am dealing w it. There are so many people out there that talk about these tests and have no clue what they are talking about. So I read and researched and here it is. Good luck and I recommend keeping clean and getting it over with. It goes fairly fast.
    This may be of interest to you. SAMHSA just released an updated advisory The Role of Biomarkers in the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorders, 2012 Revision Spring 2012, Volume 11, Issue 2.

This supersedes the Advisory of September 2006. > LINK

Let me know what you think of this.

Jul 4, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    This may be of interest to you. SAMHSA just released an updated advisory The Role of Biomarkers in the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorders, 2012 Revision Spring 2012, Volume 11, Issue 2.

This supersedes the Advisory of September 2006. > LINK

Let me know what you think of this.
    Thank you Dr Bill I find that very interesting. ETS/ETG detected for 1-2days sounds right and one of the few articles out there that appears to be based on facts not assumptions. I have read many of you posts and I really respect your medical opinion. You tell it like it is and don't just assume. There are many MD's out there on the net and if you asked them a taboo question about "slipping up and drinking the night before" Can I pass tomorrow? They directly say no its 5 days don't be a idiot and drink. Thank you for the info. I will pass any thing else I may find on the subject as well. Great article

Jul 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
    I agree with Cardiac. Every one makes mistakes and that is how we learn in life and there are people on here that are so eager to judge you and tell you what to do or "not to do". I always wonder if "those people" have gone through life not making any mistakes... I have yet to meet the "perfect human being" on earth. Thanks Dr. Bill for your knowledge and updates.
    Kitty62905 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes it is very close, I have to wonder why you drink knowing you have to test
    Please help I took 1 shot yesterday at noon. When I test today will be about 29-30 hours. I've had 2 monsters 2 redbulls ran a track 2x. Please I'm so scared! Will I pass an EtG? I'm 33/f 110 lbs
    Kitty62905 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Please help I took 1 shot yesterday at noon. When I test today will be about 29-30 hours. I've had 2 monsters 2 redbulls ran a track 2x. Please I'm so scared! Will I pass an EtG? I'm 33/f 110 lbs
    In direct response to your question, yes 500 cutoff is much better than the unofficial lab standard of 100.

However, I was basing my observation on a 500 test, one of the few naturalistic tests available. In that test involving consumption of 5 drinks (1.5 oz) none of the results were positive after 48 hours. This involved only a few individuals however. So you're still in that fringe area either way. But the higher the cutoff the less likely detection.

Each time you ask a question I am winding up on a different thread although they're all related. I don't know if it's me, you or the site?[/QUOTE]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass EtG test after 59 hours? [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 6ft 3in 230 lbs I been drinking water for the last 3 hours my test is tomorrow by 11am... I drank last on Monday at 3am I have also been taking creatine and a detox pill I plan waking up early and running and sweatting allot will this be enough to pass

Has anyone failed an EtG test after 80 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever failed an ETG test after 80 hours? It says it can go back 80 hours 3-5 days, so let me rephrase this, has anyone failed an ETG test with more than 80 hours since there last drink?

Will I pass EtG test after 62 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

Saturday I drank about 12 beers, stopping at approx. 2:00 am. Im a healthy 125 lb female with a fast metabolism. I am taking an EtG test Tuesday at about 4:45 pm. Do you think I will pass? (That would be about 62 hours after consuption.)

View more questions Search