Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexi74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 09:05 AM
    Mother left children 4 years ago, can father claim full custody based on abandonment?
    I want to know if anyone knows if in the state of California can you claim abandonment on a mother who left her children at the father's house 4 years ago? She dropped them off with all of their clothes, birth certificates, SSN cards and immunization records. Can he file for abandonment and get full custody of his children?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 10:04 AM

Claiming abandonment and getting full custody are (sort of) different things. The father should go to Court - I'm surprised he didn't make his move some time ago to legalize the situation - and request to be named the custodial parent based on the mother leaving. She did not legally abandon the children because she made certain they were safe and taken care of.

She can always argue that she wants to be the custodial parent but if it's been 4 years, I doubt she will and I also very much doubt her request would be granted. At least I sure hope so!

Has she been paying support? If she has not, now is the time to ask for it.

I don't like personal advice on the legal threads but it sounds like this father (and fathers get bashed all the time) stepped up and takes care of his responsibilities. I don't know what your relationship to him is - but you can be proud of him. Thank goodness for him or who knows where these kids would be.

I wish you luck - let us know if you have other questions and/or how it works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a mother gives full custody to the father can she get it back? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years now we have a son together he also has 2 girl 9 and 4 with his ex wife. She gave full custody to the father in April of 2006 because she was unable to take care of them any more. After that she got herself in all kinds of trouble with the law for drugs and...

Mother left 8 years ago, no contact; how do I terminate her parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a single father in California with sole legal and physical custody of my 8 year old daughter (and 7 year old son from another relationship). The mother has not tried to see or even call our daughter in over 7 and a half years, nor had she paid a single penny of child support. The 'mother' has...

What are my chances as a father of gaining full custody of my children? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 children both under the age of four I get my children at weekends but recently the mother of my children has been arguing with me a lot about when I can see my children so I woz wondering what are the chances of me gaining full custody if I applied for it?

My daughter abandoned her children, and my mother want full custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter hasn't seen her two children or even called in over 6months, my mother and sister have had the two (1 and 3 yr old.) for 6 + months with no contact from the mother. Can my mother and sister file for custody of the baby's,

Can a mother who left for many years come back and get 50/50 custody? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has had full physical custody for 2 years of his 4 year old daughter. Now before that he had 50/50 custody for one year , the mother of the child has been out the child's life since about the time she was 8 months she has never shown any interest in being involved in this child's...

View more questions Search