Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    osingal Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 03:19 AM
    Need books...
    I am a 12 yr. old
    I want to increase my iq and brainpower
    Can anyone please recommend some cheap books( which I can buy from my pocket money ) that I can buy to increase them
    Also can someone name some other books I should read
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Why not go to your local or school library ?
    The books there you can read for free and the librarians would be an excellent
    Source of referral for the books you are looking for.

As for books I would recommend to you
    " The Red Badge of Courage" a story about the civil war.
    A short story by O'Henry "The Ransom of Red Chief" this is a great story I'm sure you'll like.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 09:45 AM

Yes, definitely check out (free) books from the library! Read short stories by Bret Harte and O. Henry, plus Grimm's fairy tales. Read Greek and Roman mythology stories. Read some of the Newbery winners (ask a librarian for a list). Read a daily newspaper. Read a news magazine such as The Week (it summarizes the news and is fun to read, like a grown-up Weekly Reader). Do crossword puzzles every day. Check out riddle and quiz books at the library (but don't write in them).

If you don't enjoy reading something, move on to something else. There's lots out there!
    PinkKitteh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
    I think the puzzle books are a great idea for increasing brainpower. As far as I know, there is no way to increase your IQ. The best you can do is become more clever than those around you. As a girl I found science fiction books to be incredibly helpful. I believe that they give you a larger view on things you might never have considered. They push you to think. I was particularly fond of Robert Heinlein, he was a bit of a pig, but had a great sense of humor and passed along a lot of good information/ideas/opinions. He wrote young adult and adult sci-fi. Normally, I would say 'start with JRR Tolkien', too. But he can really ruin a girl's life, in that you'll fall in love with Middle Earth. It's like crack... just say No (for now). So, at least check out Heinlein's young adult books. They gave me a ton of insight into the male perspective, and life in general. I can't say they made me 'smarter' but they helped make me incredibly clever... and cynical. Oh, well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkKitteh View Post
    As far as I know, there is no way to increase your IQ.
    That's not true (thank goodness!). Humans display a huge range of cognitive abilities in a number of different kinds of intelligences -- spatial, linguistic, logical-mathematical, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic, and existential. These are defined in this article:

Theory of multiple intelligences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm certainly a lot smarter and more clever than I was at 15 or 35 or even at 56. A person is constantly learning; the brain is constantly adding more convolutions. The more a person reads and experiences and puzzles out and practices at, the smarter he will be. You exercise your legs muscles, so why not your brain?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old books [ 2 Answers ]

Can old books get bugs in them.

Old books [ 5 Answers ]

I have a few old books (100+yrs). Does anyone know any online valuers? Or somewhere for a rough estimate? I'm wondering if they're worth taking to a valuers or am I going to look silly? thanks moomin ;)

This is one for the books! [ 17 Answers ]

This is my first and only attempt a doing this, but I can't seem to get an answer from people close to me, especially whom aren't bias. Long story, but here goes... I met the love of my life 2 years ago, it was unbelievable, never thought I could feel that way, and it was reciprocated. Side note,...

Name of these two books [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure these are children's books, at most teen books. The first book goes like this: Girl lives with her brother and her grandparents(I think) near a little town. The main character is a girl. She has a gift to talk to animals, and her brother has a gift that is unknown. She is a...

View more questions Search