Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Ripping up carpet and polishing floor boards
    Hi, how difficult is it to rip up carpet and polish floor boards? Can I do it myself?

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 11:12 PM

It is fairly easy to remove the carpet. Start in a corner and peel it back along one wall. Roll carpet and cut it so it is easier to manage. Use a utility knife or carpet razor knife.

Remove padding the same way. It may be stapled to wood floor. Remove staples with a pliers using a scrap of wood to protect floor when prying up staples.

Use small pry bar to remove tack strip that is around perimeter of room at walls. Use scrap of wood to protect floor when prying.

Clean floor. Depending on condition of wood floor will dictate if floor has to be sanded before applying a wax or poly finish.

Chuck
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Great, thanks. I might consider it then.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 11:34 PM

Let us know how u make out.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to transition hardwood floor to carpet/tile on a slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

We installed new hardwood flooring on our slab floor, it is a floating floor. How do we transition to tile and carpet? Do we need to glue the transitions down?

Ripping up kitchen floor [ 4 Answers ]

We have begun ripping up our kitchen floor but cannot find the right tool to reach under the cabinets. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you

Ripping up In Floor Heating [ 1 Answers ]

I'm moving into a new house in the next 10 days. My husband is an electrician and is usually very handy but he installed in floor heating in the ensuite and it's not leveled plus we've been told the wires are too close together. My tile guy told us we need to rip up all the wires and re-level the...

Squeaking floor boards [ 7 Answers ]

I have an area in one of my rooms, which is carpeted, that always squeaks in the summer months. How can I stop this without having to have the carpet taken up?

Loose floor boards under carpet [ 3 Answers ]

We have a squeeky board under the carpet on a second floor room. Should we use a screw or a nail to try and resecure it? Any pointers on how to isolate the spot to work on, since it seems to cover a few feet as you walk across it.

View more questions Search