Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 05:36 PM
    Why is the flu vaccination so important?
    I see advertisements for flu vaccinations EVERYWHERE. Why is it such a big deal? Actually, last time I actually suffered from the flu was the last time I got vaccinated about 8 years ago. And I got it REALLY bad. Ever since then I haven't had it once, not bird flu or
    H1N1 or anything like that, the most I've suffered from was the common cold and a slight sinus infection from dry air. Is it just that some people need it more than others? Why is it such a big thing?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 06:04 AM

Ohsohappy - I'm with you on this topic. I don't intend to EVER voluntarily get a flu shot! It contains more toxic materials than they even admit to. Why would I voluntarily put a bunch of toxic material in my body on the hopes that I won't get the flu? Still scratching my head on that one after all these years. The one flu shot I voluntarily took (now 14+ years ago) I got so ill I vowed never to do it again. Coincidence? Nope.

And yes, I've also noticed the proliferation of "flu ads on tv" and just how easy they are making it to get this toxic material happily into your body.

All I have to say is DON'T DO IT!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 06:17 AM

It's very important for a certain percentage of the public to get. Twinkie and I will always disagree on this, but I've seen people die because they didn't get one.

Now, understand, that the people who died had other underlying health problems that the flu exacerbated.

The people who it is recommended to get this shot are: very young children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with diseases such as asthma and COPD, to name a few, and those that work in healthcare.

It is a respiratory illness, where most people think the flu is an abdominal illness.

H1N1 for instance (a/k/a Swine Flu)
    It is estimated that the 2009 H1N1 pandemic resulted in more than 12,000 flu-related deaths in the U.S.
    Seasonal flu...
    Complications of flu can include bacterial pneumonia, ear infections, sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes.
    So, not all people NEED to get the flu shot. CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Influenza (Flu) & Flu Vaccine

In Twinkie's case, she had an adverse reaction 14+ years ago. The vaccination has changed since then. Back then the shot contained a live virus, now it does not.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 06:59 AM

I fall into the COPD and diabetes category and I have gotten the flu shot the last five years. Yes I still got the flu but at a reduced level than before. I will get the shot sometime this week.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2010, 10:35 AM

Okay that sort of clears up some of my questions. I guess another reason why I don't have as many troubles is because I'm 20 and my immune system seems to be in order. Other than the remissed iga nephropathy (kidney disease) I haven't have many health issues)
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/IgA+nephropathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vaccination [ 1 Answers ]

My son received a vaccination when he was about 1 1/2 the nurse had mentioned to me that some parents think the shot leaves a mark that resembles a freckle on the skin. She assured me that it doesn't, but sure enough there it was. It grows as he grows and everything. Why did the vaccination give...

Vaccination before pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Is it necessary to get vaccinated for chicken pox and the mumps before getting pregnant

Are you going to get either the seasonal flu shot or the swine flu shot? [ 63 Answers ]

Don't know how to do a "poll" so I'll just ask this Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the seasonal flu shot this year? Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the series of swine flu shots this year? Have you or any of your family members ever had a flu shot...

Vaccination Hepititis B [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could have messed this up. I got the first Hep B shot on Thursday and took an antibiotic the next day as I was feeling an urinary tract infection coming on as well as a yeast. Did I mess my body up more by doing this? I had antibiotics from about a month ago that I didn't...

View more questions Search