Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowgoose Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 03:41 PM
    What is proper dose of Methimazole to 11-lb cat?
    Cat tested at 7 normal is 4 for thyroid. (Sorry, I don't know what this test was, just referred to as 'thyroid level' by my vet.) All other blood work fine (kidnew, liver, blood sugar etc.) She is spayed 13 year old indoor cat. Was always ravenously hungry(also regular throwing up about 10 hrs after eating) prior to hyperthyroid diagnosis. Started Thurs afternoon on 5 mg methimazole twice a day. My vet is not in Fridays or Sat or Sundays except for expensive emergency care. By Friday morning cat has for the most part stopped eating and mopes like she doesn't feel well (hiding a lot), but is actually no longer throwing up as was her usual. Looks at food dish, won't touch anything all day. Does drink water, does use litterpan. Has eaten about 1/4 her normal amount during the overnight hours. Dosed at 7am and 7pm. I am wondering if perhaps vet made error and set does too high for size of cat? Does this dosage seem appropriate yes or no?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2010, 04:39 PM

I'm not a Vet and I would never second guess a Vet BUT the dosage for adults (who presumably weigh more than your cat) is 5 or 10 mgs.

Seems like a high dosage for your cat. But, again, I didn't go to Vet school.

If it were my cat - and it's Sunday night "here" - I would discontinue the medication and call the Vet in the AM.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 05:16 PM

Methimazole comes in 5mg tablets generally and that is the starting dose for cats. I do not believe your vet made an error. It does come in 2.5mg tablets as well (or you can halve the 5mgs) for cats who test too low after 4 or so weeks of 5mg.
    I've never seen a cat go home on more than 5mg initial dose, and if anything the symptoms would be overdosing than underdosing. However, it may be totally unrelated.
    I would take your cat in tomorrow.
    Edit: Now that I re-read that, our cats usually go home on 5mg once a day, I totally overlooked the twice a day.
    It is possible kitty is getting too much. Hold off giving anymore, and go in tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper alphabetization of a proper name [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to file this proper name? Beatrice de Clermont Tonnerre

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

About a cat that recuses a girl cat from being married to a fat cat [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I was watching this movie on the kids channel a long time ago and it was the movie I think disney but yes anyway, its about this very lovely white cat girl that is being forced to marry this fat rich cat, during this the sister or aunt of the lovely white cat lady gets a check from this...

How well does Alli work? 1 dose vs prescription dose? And will it work for me? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am very into fitness, but I have really just run up against a wall. I used to weigh 342lbs about 5 years ago. Over the next 3 years I lost 112lbs and got all the way down to 230. I'm male, 31 yrs old, 6'2. I had a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation with brutal symptoms. I...

Over Dose! [ 28 Answers ]

I'm seriously thinking about overdosing right now!! Someone help me get through this please!! :mad:

View more questions Search