Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ben.laurie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Insulating a basement ceiling without
    Hi

I have a ski chalet in the French Alps. In winter, the basement level is often well below freezing and is not insulated. The ceiling is just raw concrete building bricks, no wooden joists or anything that insulation batts could be inserted into. The floor above does not have underfloor heating and is tiled. For this reason, the floor is extremely cold regardless of how warm the first floor room temperature is. I was considering applying insulation to the basement ceiling hoping to stop the heat escaping from the first floor into the basement (which I can't heat) and therefore make the first floor more comfortable to walk on. There are no damp problems in the building. Although I would ordinarily like to install insulation batts, as the ceiling is just raw concrete, there is no wooden framework on the ceiling that would be suitable for insulation batts. I was however thinking about installing foam boards or potentially building a wooden frame to then install the foam batts. I am a novice when it comes to insulation, so would appreciate any advice you can give. If you look at the attached photo, you will see the ceiling in the basement area. Thanks, Ben.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 07:15 PM

Ben, I would glue 2" or 4" of blue foam boards to those block. You would have to support the foam for a few hours until the glue starts to set. Is that pipe to the left of the lights a furnace air duct?
    ben.laurie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 01:08 AM

Ballengerb1, thanks very much for your advice. The pipe is not a furnace. Is there a special type of glue that you can recommend? Also, is there any additional sealing that needs to be done, or is it really just as simple as gluing the boards to the concrete? Many thanks, Ben.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 07:29 AM

Liquid Nails and others make a glue for foam board Projects & Foamboard Adhesive (LN-604) - LIQUID NAILS Adhesive I would also tape all seams and edges. Energy Savers: Foam Board Insulation You could also caulk the seams instead iof tape

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating a basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a newer house that I am going to finish the basement. When my house was built they insulated and vapour barrer half way down my basement walls, is it necasarry to insulate the bottom half if it is below ground level or can I get away without it Thanks to all that repond

Finishing and Insulating a Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry about the huge thread started, but I wanted to give as much background info as possible. Thanks, Logan. Background: In a few years I will be finishing my basement. I live in lower New York so the temperature varies from season to season. My basement has cinder block walls and the...

Insulating Basement [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?

Insulating basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

As per a previous thread I am in process of insulating my basement. I have taken the advice of TerryB with his great link to insulating. I have run into only a little problem I hope. I installed moisture barrier against the cement foundation, wood studded my walls and installed R-12. This was on...

Insulating basement joists [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: finishing basement and I am curious as to how deep should I put the insulation in the joists. I am using #15 roofing paper 3/4's of the way up the cement wall with 2x4 studs and r-12 batts, then a polyurethane vapour barrier. Now should I bring out the insulation over the 2x4 stud of the...

View more questions Search