Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yelva Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 11:12 AM
    My attention seeking friend is driving me mad, should I dump her and how?
    Hi guys. I am 19 years and I have a friend hwo is 16 years old. We have been friends in about 1,5 years now and she is driving me crazy. She is very sensetive in any way so anything negative bieng said to her will scar her for life.
    She is always competing with me and her other friends; for example we have a friend in common who is very serious about scool, and like so, my annoying froend wants to be better than her. Same for me, she tries to make my favorite things and interests into hers.
    I really like drawing and baking for example. So all of a sudden she does too, but it is clear for anyone to see that I do it better, naturally since it is my favorite things! It is everything; type of clothes I like, my attitude to boys, favorite interests (even the really wired ones) she is even talking about getting her breasts pierced, just like I have, and she doesn't even have her ears pierced! It really hurts me, cause even though people might be able to see that my interests are real and she is confused, it is like buying the dress of your dreams and then she wants it too, just more personal. I know she will never get those piercings, but still.
    She does this to all her friends.. it os like she is one big collage of characters.

She is also filled with self-pitty, even though she doesent have any problems, and I am sick of her talking about how cruel the world is to her. The rest of our class also thinks that she is too much right now and she is probably going to feel very lonely if I dump her. I just don't know why she is mu friend anymore. I know she loves me and she is very generous. But she will lie about me or other friends just to sound interesting for someone she wants to be friends with. Oh, and she wants the whole world to like her, which of course is an impossible task. AND! She steal my friends.. it sounds silly since I don't own my friends, but any of my old friends from elementary scool, even my old big crush! she suddenyl wants to be "like this" with. And when my old best friend was a little too cool for my annoying friend, she did nothing but complain to me about how closed my old friend was. It is not like I loose anything from all this (except for my temper) but it kind of takes the joy away from some of the things dearest to me.
    What should I do!

And sorry for my english, I'm from denmark
    What should I do?
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 11:32 AM

Hello y,

The fact the you are a few years older than her, to me, says she might be looking up to you.

She might be trying to fit in with you and the crowd. She is still young, so she may be trying to find herself.

Have you tried sitting her down and talking to her about it?

If not, then if I were you, I would sit her down and in a nice way, with just you and her, nobody else, explain to her how this makes you feel. You need to communicate that to her.

Again, just you and her, not anyone else, or else she could think she is being ambushed.

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Thank you for your answer Enigma1999
    I think that you are right about the age thing, but she believes that she is more mature than most of us, and it is quite difficult to sit down with a friend and say that she is immature when she thinks the complete opporsite.. And what would it change to tell her that she is acting stupid except from making her feel more miserable and talk about me behind my back for a while.. :/
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yelva View Post
    Thank you for your answer Enigma1999
    I think that you are right about the age thing, but she belives that she is more mature than most of us, and it is quite difficult to sit down with a friend and say that she is immature when she thinks the complete opporsite.. And what would it change to tell her that she is acting stupid except from making her feel more miserable and talk about me behind my back for a while.. :/
    First of all, keep in mind that some 16 year olds, not all, but some are still very immature to begin with. So they tend to think that they are mature and know it all. I know I did. Lol As most of us have.

Second, there is a way of talking to her. She will feed off you. For example,

You say, So and So, can we please sit and talk for a minute? I have been wanting to share something with you that has been on my mind. I feel...

Understand where I am coming from? It is all in how it is presented to her. Be diplomatic and use tact. Don't say things like, you're acting stupid, you're immature, everyone thinks...

And when you do talk to her, don't include anyone else, for example, he said this about you, she said that about you...

Don't do that. YOu speak for yourself, not anyone else. If others have issues, then let them voice it.

I know it will be hard. Just remember, if you do sit and talk to her, be respectful of her feelings, after all she is your friend.

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Comment on Enigma1999's post
    Thank you. Ill try to get up enough courage to talk to her I think..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking Husband's attention.but how? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a newlywed... I love my husband dearly, but I feel like for the past couple of months I have to ask or let it be known that I want to spend time with him. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell him to spend time with me. He used to be so attentive and loving but now if I get a full two hours...

Attention-seeking person [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 22 years old university student and I realized I'm chronic attention seeker.. sometimes I start thinking some farfetched ideas and worrisome thoughts and I get depressed hoping someone will notice and comfort me.. my girlfriend realized this and made me realize it too... its so true because...

Why am I seeking attention from men [ 7 Answers ]

You hear all about men having a mid life crisis, is it the same for us women. I was up until a couple of year ago in a long term stable relationship. Can't say I was floating on air but things were ticking along okay and I was content. I only wish I still felt the same way. Things changed for...

Is he seeking attention or does he still like me? [ 7 Answers ]

At school I'm not exactly popular, in fact I'm the opposite. I have a few friends but not many. So I was glad when the person I had fancied for almost 2 years asked me out. And I said yes. We went out for only 3 months before I found out he had cheated on me with my best friend. My best friend was...

Still driving me mad! [ 10 Answers ]

This will drive me CRAZY until someone remembers it! I think it was a Disney made for TV movie in the late 80s or early 90s. It was about a girl who befriends a boy. The girl is a witch, and she lives on a lake with her grandmother or mom. There is a scene where she teaches the boy to skip rocks....

View more questions Search