Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyof38408 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 08:53 PM
    Pilot light won't stay lite
    My pilot light won't stay lite. The flame is blue and I changed the thermocouple. But the moment I let go of the button it goes out can someone please help me?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2010, 07:46 AM

Is the thermocouple setting to far from the flame to operate? There's one more thing to chek.
    Look out near the gas meter. You should see a inverted tee, (tee turned upside down)with a pipe pointing down. This is a drip loop installed to collect moisture so that it won't get in your gas line. Over time this drip loop will fill up and needs to be drained. If it's not drained water will enter with the gas and put out the pilot light. Some drip loops have a petcock at the bottom so you can drain it. Others have a hard cap that must be remover with a wrench. Shut off the gas at the meter, open up the drip loop and drain it. If it has a hard cap, don't forget to wrap the threads with teflon tape before you put it back. When you turn the gas back on paint the threads with liquid soap and check for leaks,(bubbles). Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 11:16 AM

Is this a water heater, furnace, gas fireplace, free standing stove or something else? How long are you holding the knob down before you let go and the pilot goes out. Some units have a high limit that has two wires connectiong to the place where the thermocouple screws in, if this limit trips, or the wires are loose, it will not allow the pilot to stay lit. Please let us know what you are working on and if possible post a pic of the gas valve where the thermocouple screws in.

As tom mentioned, if the couple is not directly in the pilot flame, it will not work correctly. One way to check if the thermocouple is getting enough flame is to take a torch and heat the thermocouple with it, then see if it stays lit, if it does, but once you remove the torch, the pilot goes out within a minute or so, you no you are not getting good flame contact, or low flame from pilot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm gas heater pilot lite won't stay lit. [ 3 Answers ]

I have followed the directions, yet the pilot lite won't stay on.

Pilot light will not stay lite. [ 0 Answers ]

Have a gas hot water heater. Troubleshoot reads "Pressure Switch remained open longer than 5 seconds after the combustion blower was energized". What/Where is the Pressure Switch? Solution reads "Pressure Switch tubing is not connected correctly" What/Where is the Pressure Switch Tubing?

My state select #GS650YBRT pilot light will not stay lite what could be the problem [ 0 Answers ]

My State Select Hot water heater #GS650YBRT pilot light will not stay lite what is the problem?

If my Thermocouple is bad will my pilot light stay lite [ 2 Answers ]

My pilot lite will go out once in a while.I don't it is not do to wind either.the furnace will work for a will and then I find the pilot out. It will relite and we go through the cycle again.

Water heater pilot light will not stay lite [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater pilot lite will not stay lite. What do I need to do or replace to solve this issue?

View more questions Search