Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RachelN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Can my husband's wages be garnished?
    There has been a judgement placed against an old hospital debt that is in my name only. They have already placed a garnishment on my wages, and I've just found out that they're going after my husband's now, too. It's from the birth of our daughter, and we were married at the time. I'm afraid I know the answer, but I just want to be sure.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 09:21 AM

If you two have a joint checking account, then yes they can garnish the account.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2010, 09:22 AM

What State? In some States a husband is liable for his wife's medical bills.

If you were married I don't understand why the hospital bill is in your name only. Was it in both names (the usual practice) or was he a co-guarantor?

Oct 2, 2010, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you two have a joint checking account, then yes they can garnish the account.

tick
    They've already placed a garnishment on our account, but since we're overdrawn at the moment they've not gotten anything from it.

Oct 2, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What State? In some States a husband is liable for his wife's medical bills.

If you were married I don't understand why the hospital bill is in your name only. Was it in both names (the usual practice) or was he a co-guarantor?
    We live in Kansas. And I'm not sure why his name's not on the bill. I must've messed up on paperwork or something. :confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 11:45 AM

Rachel, if you have any automatic deposits going in, cancel them, and have the cheques sent to your home address.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 11:51 AM

Also what did he sign at the hospital when they admitted you, or at discharge did he sign to be responsible for the debts

Oct 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Also what did he sign at the hospital when they admitted you, or at discharge did he sign to be reponsible for the debts
    He hadn't signed anything. I did all the paperwork myself.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 01:34 PM

If you are married I would be very surprised if he was not asked to guarantee the bill. That's the policy in NY and, of course, I know you aren't in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wages garnished [ 2 Answers ]

My wages were garnished because of a judgement issued against by a collection agency on a debt that was passed the statue of limitations. Can I fight this?

Garnished wages [ 2 Answers ]

I just started getting my wages garnished out my check and it's too much for me. I am a single mother of three and can't pay my other monthly bills. How can I get the payment lowered.

Garnished Wages [ 1 Answers ]

If my wadges are garnished are they garnished before any benefits (health insurance)?

My wages are being garnished! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida, I received a notice from a collection agency, one that has been in existence for 40 years. I was informed that they had recovered an account from a wireless providerthat I had service with from the year 2002. First off, I do not recall having the sercvice during that time, I do...

View more questions Search