Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Grapevine pruning
    Is it okay to prune the grapevine now that it's just started to bud with new leaves? If it is okay, how do I go about pruning a grapvine? Is it that I keep every fifth stem?

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 09:28 AM

I frang, I was thinking of you the other day because I happened to buy a gardening book and the first page I opened had information on the frangipani tree. So there you go, welcome back, haven't seen you posting for a while.

Many many sites on Google regarding pruning grapevines. I picked one that looked okay:

Gardening howto

If this URL doesn't work you can find it on Google.

Tick
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Hi Tickle, lovely to hear from you and thanks for the URL. Mostly I'm kept busy with family and other things to post much, but I drop by occasionally to search for some advice and to keep in touch.

Just pruned the grapevine and the cut stems are weeping... being in new leaf, hopefully it hasn't been damaged. Will have to wait and see how the vine does this year.

Best wishes to you tickle... have a wonderful day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pruning a lilac? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lilac that the previous owners had neglected for a long time. The stock is about 6 inches in diameter, and is one very tall, spindly stick with a few branches (which are just wisps) and I get flowers on the top wisps. (about 20 feet up). It looks silly, and I'd like to have it bushy...

Grape vines - pruning when to do it and how? [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our house several months ago and there are 2 very large grape vines in the backyard. I have no idea about plants or pruning or anything outdoorsy really :o It is winter here and they have dropped all their leaves. How and when do I prune them? I was told that they have to be...

Pruning Lavendar [ 3 Answers ]

In the spring, do I cut lavendar to the ground or is it an old growth plant?

Pruning bushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have six bushes of Texas purple sage. They are on each end of my house in the flower beds. They have gotten too big and I need to know if I can cut them back like a lot? The leaves on the bottoms have gotton very sparse. Would appreciate any feed back. Thanks

View more questions Search