Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Moving Violation?
    We stopped at the red light to turn right on a legal turn and were stopped by the Police Officer who stated we didn't stop long enough and issued a traffic violation for "non stop at a red traffic light." Any suggestions on how to approach this in Tampa, Florida. Also, can you please help us with suggesting a reasonably priced Traffic Court Attorney for Students? We are in the Tampa, Florida Hillsborough County Area. Thanks all for your time!

God Bless :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Ah, the California stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    In all countries, the driver must come to a complete stop at a stop sign, even if no other vehicle or pedestrian is visible. However, some drivers practice a maneuver called a rolling stop or nicknamed after a city or region regarded as somewhere it is commonplace (e.g., "Rhode Island roll" or "California stop"[5]) - slowing down significantly but not stopping completely at the sign.[6] This partial stop is not acceptable to most law enforcement officials, and can result in a traffic citation. It is dangerous because pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists are likely to assume that the driver is coming to a full stop and may proceed into the driver's path.
    Find a physics student to testify as an expert witness. If all forward momentum ceases, even for a fraction of a second, you haven't violated the law.

BTW, if Ginger Rogers were still alive, she would be 99, not 77. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2010, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerrogers77 View Post
    Also, can you please help us with suggesting a reasonably priced Traffic Court Attorney for Students?
    Hello g:

I HATE cops, and I LOVE kicking their butts in court... But, my record is NOT 100%. There's those times when I can't win, and/or the cost of winning is just tooooooo high...

If you think you can get a discount BECAUSE you're a student, good luck. However, the recession has probably effected lawyers too, so shop around. But, it would be MY view, that it's going to be MUCH cheaper to plead guilty. If your driving record is good, I doubt your insurance rates will go up as a result of this ticket. Plus, the TIME involved in a trial is excessive... I wouldn't want to spend THAT much time in a courthouse.

But, if you want to fight cause you're right, you have MY support.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 12:20 PM

Just pay the fine, honestly, at the end of the day, if the officer testifies he say you "roll" though the stop, you will be convicted.

Most people don't completely stop, they think or feel they do, but their car actually merely jerks or they slow up to a almost stop. Only real chance, show up and plead not guilty, if the officer is not present, you ask it to be dismissed.
    moebru Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Think you had a tough break with that cop so if your driving record is good go for a hearing at the r.m.v you may just win good like
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ...Most people don't completely stop, they think or feel they do, but their car actually merely jerks or they slow up to a almost stop. ...
    But if you can prove the officer ticketed you because he "stated we didn't stop long enough", it seems like you could beat it. His interpretation of the law is just plain wrong. The judge will know that. It doesn't say you have to remain stopped for any set period. You just have to be completely stopped for at least a single instant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 7 year old felony for a moving violation, trafficking, and possession of 112 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old felony for a moving violation, trafficking, and possession of 112 pounds of marijuana. I have nothing else ln my record and have been clean since then. I want to reinstate my hazmat endorsment. Am I eligible to have it reinstated ever?

Maryland violation of probation time limits to file violation [ 2 Answers ]

I was given 5 yrs of probation during which I violated the terms by not paying restituion as indicated . I could not pay for financial reasons and a violation was filed and I was found guilty. The judge sentenced me to 6 months jail and said that I would have only 6 months left after I got out to...

Moving washer & dryer connections, adding a shower, moving a toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I know this is a lot for one question, but bear w/ me. We have a half bath in which our full size w/d connections are located. We would like to move them to the kitchen, about 15 ft away. We do have a pier and beam house. Any ideas on how much that would cost? Also, we want to put a bathtub...

2 moving violation in 3yrs [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any companies willing to hire otr with 7pts? I was laid off from kllm lst month and Having ne luck landing new job. I have hazmat and 10yrs exp

Late paid moving violation actions [ 1 Answers ]

I was faced one night and accidentally parked in a handicapped praking spot at to a.m. in the morning and a state trooper wrote me up.I paid the ticket a month late but was never sent any notice about my license being suspended in Connecticut. Where do I call or research?

View more questions Search