Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EFS1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Was docked 2 days pay for doctor excused sick days when he is paid salary.
    My husband works at salary, usually putting in 60+ hours per week. This past pay period, he had bronchitis and took off 2 1/2 days, returning to work AMA. He gave his supervisor his Doctors note. His employer has docked him 2 days pay. How is this possible when he is salaried?

If this is legal, can he then ask for all the overtime he has worked in the past year?

Would appreciate any advice here.

Thanks, Frustrated
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 06:50 AM

Doesn't matter if he's salaried or not... has he used up all of his sick leave for the year already? If he has he can be docked.

Where do you live as in WHAT Country and state. Laws will vary between countries and even states.

More info can help us give a better answer.
    EFS1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Doesn't matter if he's salaried or not....has he used up all of his sick leave for the year already? If he has he can be docked.

Where do you live as in WHAT Country and state. Laws will vary between countries and even states.

More info can help us give a better answer.
    We live in Pennsylvania and his boss does not give sick days to his salaried employees.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 12:58 PM

OK... there are no paid sick days. That's why he was docked. Employers aren't, or at least weren't required to give paid sick leave or vacation days... but most of the larger ones do. I think the law did recently change on that... but it applies with more than a certain number of employees. I forget the exact number. But it was geared more towards hourly workers. I'm not very familiar on that topic... someone who is will come along and give a better answer.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 11, 2010, 11:59 AM

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

Salaried exempt employees may not be docked for a partial day of pay.

They can be docked for one full day of time off for personal reasons.

If sick pay plans exist and all time is exhausted they may be docked for extra sick time off.

If no sick plans exist and no sick pay is given the salaried exempt cannot be docked for sick time off unless he is under the FMLA ruling.

If he is under the FMLA ruling than the employee may be docked for full and partial absences as this is non paid time off.

The 2 1/2 days would not fall under FMLA since he must be absent 3 days or more to qualify.

He should be paid his time .

There are a few instances where the compay is very small and is not covered under the FLSA. If he is not covered under the FLSA than he will not be paid for sick pay off.

You have the right to file a claim for unpaid wages with your local Department of Labor.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

If my doctor give me an excused for missing work does it have to list my restrictions [ 2 Answers ]

My doctor gave me an excuse to be out of work for three days my employer told me to get a new one that list my limitations under the hippa privacy law must I comply?

In Fl I'm being forced to quit w/in 21 days, I'm salary, Paid for those days? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been a salaried employee for a company for almost 10 years. We have had a new owner for 4 who has repeatedly tried to run me off. After an accident last week (no injuries) the operator and myself were told not to work until the insurance investigation. At the end of the investigation the...

Docked pay because PTO is gone, but I am a salary employee. Can he do this? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I am a salary employee in the state of NY. I have 15 days of PTO(paid time off) I just got a email from my boss telling me he docked me 3 days pay, because I was over my 15 day limit of PTO. Is it legal for him to do this? It was my assumption that as salary employees you got paid...

View more questions Search