Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TIN401 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 01:04 PM
    401 K and Tax year
    If you want to withdraw a 401 K, when is the last date for withdrawal for that year? Specifically, like in contributions, when you contribute you can wait till April of 2007 for year2006 tax return. Is this the same for withdrawal?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 30, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TIN401
    If you want to withdraw a 401 K, when is the last date for withdrawal for that year? Specifically, like in contributions, when you contribute you can wait till April of 2007 for year2006 tax return. Is this the same for withdrawal?
    It's my humble opinion that you can withdraw anytime - I think you were asking in what tax year would the distribution be taxable and if I assume correctly your question, then it's my opinion that it would be taxable in the year that you receive the check. An important item to consider (even though you did not ask), are the tax consequences of a
    401k withdrawla before your age 59 1/2 (I am assuming you are not yet 59 1/2). The penalties, tax consequences can be quite severe if you are not 59 1/2 yet.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Actually, it's taxed based on the date of the check. Example, if you withdrew this past Thursday and check was drafted this past Friday, but you got it in the mail on Tuesday, you would be taxed on the withdrawal for 2006, even though you got the check in 2007.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2006, 08:02 PM
    401K withdrawals should always be a last resort. Any withdrawal is taxable in the year the check was written. However, depending on the plan it could take several months from the request until a check is written.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 08:30 PM
    I am in total agreement with Scott!
    TIN401 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 10:53 AM
    Thanks for all your answers. They help me in understanding 401 K. My reason for asking before was because in 2005 we had a situation where our adjusted gross was almost zero. For 2006 we had special assessment RE taxes due to our major renovation of our house. My wife's 401 K contributions were over the limit also for the past few years. We are almost at retirement, i.e. we are over 64. However, the question is moot for 2006 now, since we would not get a check with a 2006 date, since it is too late for that.

TIN401

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for my 401 [ 3 Answers ]

I need help if any one has any information to share, I would greatly appreciate. I have money invested in a retirement from a job I worked at about 5+ years ago. Since I quit, the medical clinic has closed it's doors. I can not remember the name of the retirement funds that we used and would...

401(k) Withdrawal State Tax for Non-US Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-US citizen currently working in CA. I plan to early retire this year and move overseas. What should I do with my 401(k) money in order to minimize tax burden? 1) Should I rollover to IRA? 2) From reading a few threads, I know that I will have to pay federal tax. Let's say I move...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Which forms should my friend fill out for tax year 2005? [ 5 Answers ]

TaxExpert, We are in NYC. My friend worked under OPT for about 6 months in 2005 and then under H1B status. Other than 1040 and New York State income tax return, which form should she file? Thank you!

View more questions Search