Sep 29, 2010, 05:45 PM
    My rabbit is losing her fur, why, what could be problem
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 30, 2010, 03:11 PM

How old is she?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 03:26 PM
    It's the time of year. Rabbits will lose their fur, a few times a year. It looks like a lot, but really, it's only the undercoat and no worries, it will all grow back.

I have 4 rabbits, right now it looks like a fur explosion in my house. ;)

No need to be concerned.
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lJ. View Post
    How old is she?
    Why do you ask?

Age has nothing to do with fur loss in rabbits. All rabbits, every age, from 6 months until death, will lose fur a few times a year.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2010, 05:59 PM

Is the fur just falling out like moulting or is she actually losing patches back to skin?
    One of my old bunnies had mites that had to be treated...

If the hair isn't patchy and you can't see skin odds are it's just because of the change of season.
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Is the fur just falling out like moulting or is she actually losing patches back to skin?
    One of my old bunnies had mites that had to be treated...

If the hair isn't patchy and you can't see skin odds are it's just because of the change of season.
    Darnit, I have to spread the rep.

Good point Shazzy.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2010, 10:46 PM

I never would have even thought about bunnies getting mites until it happened to Jack.
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I never would have even thought about bunnies getting mites until it happened to Jack.
    I've never had it happen with any of my bunnies. A lot does depend on whether they're indoors or outdoors, but even then, it can happen.

Judging by the season though, I'd still guess it's just moulting, but no harm in getting it checked in case it is mites. They can be nasty.

Oct 2, 2010, 08:10 AM

I asked because my brother's pet when he became old, and due to constipation began to suddenly lose a considerable amount of hair, so I was just asking about the age.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 02:34 PM
    I asked because my brother's pet when he became old, and due to constipation began to suddenly lose a considerable amount of hair, so I was just asking about the age.
    It can happen. Illness can be the cause of hair loss in any animal, but if it's just hair loss, no other issues (and the OP here just mentioned hair loss), than the most logical solution is often the right one.

Rabbits moult a few times a year. In the fall they shed their summer coat to make room for their winter fur. In the spring they'll once again shed their coat.

Pregnant rabbits will sometimes rip fur off their bodies in order to make a nest for their babies. They can often rip so much off that they're bald in many areas. They can become obsessive about it.

In the OP's case I'm fairly sure it's the season, or as Shaz said, it could be mites, which would be easily cured with a trip to the vet. If the rabbit is indoors than mites are rare, but those are the questions I'd be asking, not questions about age, because even though your brothers rabbits was old, the hair loss did not have anything to do with that, but with the constipation and the underlying illness that caused that.

Oct 2, 2010, 03:29 PM

I just asked to have more information on the situation. And yes I think the hair loss was a result of the constipation, but it may have started before the constipation. Once more information is provided then I could ask more questions based upon that.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
    I just asked to have more information on the situation. And yes I think the hair loss was a result of the constipation, but it may have started before the constipation. Once more information is provided then I could ask more questions based upon that.
    Yes you could, but I have to ask, how much do you know about rabbits? Just having one as a pet doesn't make you an expert. So if you asked more questions, got answers, would you know what advice to give, or would you just guess?

One thing you should know about rabbits, that will help if you do want to become an expert on the subject, is that rabbits are prey animals. As such, they do not show that they're sick until it's too late. In other words, they'll pretend they're okay, will appear to be okay, and than suddenly they'll seem to be sick overnight. By that time it's usually too late to do anything about the illness itself.

So, could the hair loss that your brothers rabbit experienced have started before he/she became ill enough to notice the constipation? Yes, it could, but that was just a symptom that something was wrong, unless it was during a season when the rabbit would moult, in which case the hair loss may not have had anything to do with the constipation which would be a symptom of a very serious problem.

I know you want to help, but if you're just guessing, which it seems you are, than it's best not to offer advice at all and leave it to the experts. We value facts on the pet forum, not guesses. Okay?

Rabbits are very complicated little animals, you can't guess about their care or their health, you have to know. Asking questions that you don't know the answers to will not help the OP.

Oct 2, 2010, 04:57 PM

I was not guessing. I was not trying to suggest that this rabbit is constipated, I just used that in an explanation. I was only asking for the age so that information would be provided, and then I could decide if I could offer any information that would help the rabbit.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
    I was not guessing. I was not trying to suggest that this rabbit is constipated, I just used that in an explanation. I was only asking for the age so that information would be provided, and then I could decide if I could offer any information that would help the rabbit.
    I know you weren't trying to suggest that the rabbit was constipated, but you didn't even hint that it could be because of the season. Why?

I have to ask, what do you know about rabbits?

Are you an expert in rabbit care? Not to toot my own horn, but I am. I've spent years studying these animals. My own vet calls me for advice, as do others not on this forum. From reading your posts I know that you're mostly guessing, or googling. That's the point I'm trying to make.

If you don't know, than don't post. It's that simple.

For instance, what would you give a rabbit with a hairball and why? Don't Google it, just give me your answer based on what you know.

Oct 2, 2010, 05:24 PM

I do not Google information that I submit to threads, I use my personal knowledge. I did not suggest that it was because of the season, because I saw that it had been mentioned after I had asked for the age to learn that to be able to decide if I could offer information for this rabbit or if I couldn't. I did not say you were or weren't an expert on rabbits or that it wasn't because of the change in season, I asked for the rabbit's age to help determine if I could supply information or not.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
    I do not google information that I submit to threads, I use my personal knowledge. I did not suggest that it was because of the season, because I saw that it had been mentioned after I had asked for the age to learn that to be able to decide if I could offer information for this rabbit or if I couldn't. I did not say you were or weren't an expert on rabbits or that it wasn't because of the change in season, I asked for the rabbit's age to help determine if I could supply information or not.
    But lJ, the age of the rabbit had nothing to do with it. That's what I'm getting at.

Can you answer my question about hairballs? I'm not trying to be mean, but I've noticed in other threads that the advice you give about animals is not only inaccurate but potentially deadly and that's not good when dealing with the pet forum.

Oct 2, 2010, 05:46 PM

I would never try to give potentially deadly information, I'll check my answers and erase any information that was if I find any. But I only give information which I know some knowledge about. Thank you.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

LJ, I don't think you understand.

You said that you only answer questions where you have knowledge, but it's clear that you don't have knowledge about rabbits, otherwise you wouldn't have asked the age of the rabbit, you would have gone with the obvious, which is that it's fall and it's moulting season for rabbits.

That's what I'm getting at.

Asking questions to get more info is great, when it's necessary, but in this case it wasn't. Even if the season change wasn't the reason for the hair loss, age isn't and wouldn't be, so your question about age was unnecessary. Knowing the age of the rabbit would not have helped you give an answer, even if you were a rabbit expert, which you're not.

Are you understanding what I'm saying?

I sent you a PM about this and I think that further communication about this issue should be handled via PM. We're hijacking this thread, which isn't fair to the OP.

I just want to add that the pet forum is fact based, not guess based. You may think you know, but it's obvious to those that do know, that you don't. Sometimes it's best to leave the questions you aren't sure about to those that are sure.

I'm really not trying to be mean. I'm thinking only of the people that come here for advice about their pets. It's important that they get accurate info, not guesses. Okay?

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Losing weight with out losing my boobs. [ 4 Answers ]

I was talkn to my mom the other day and I told her I wanted to get rid of my tummy fat and just tightn it up. You know get in shape in all that. But she told me if I work out and lose my weight that I would also lose my boobs as well. Is that true?

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Losing her fur [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know why my Jack Russell Terrier keeps losing her fur in spots,she keeps licking the same spot until there is no fur left usually around her legs... :confused:

View more questions Search