Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lolalaloca13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Independent student filing fafsa..
    Hi, I am filing the fafsa and css profile for financial aid at the turn of the year as an independent student because I provide for more than half of my child's support. I have never filed any tax forms though and am completely lost on the subject. I know(I think I know?) I don't need to file income taxes since I made a total income of about $6,100 in 2006. I'm not quite sure how to prove my income on these forms since they're asking for past tax records. I only worked at an "actual" job for about a month in 2006 and the rest of my income I acquired by selling random things at flea markets and snacks at school (which surprisingly turns a decent amount for the amount of work put in). I also receive food stamps, medical card, and WIC for both my daughter and I. I'm not quite sure how to go about all of this. If someone could help by responding quickly it would be greatly appriciated since I want to finish as soon after the new year as possible.

thanks in advance.

ps. Should I enlist the help of a tax agent?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 09:33 AM
    You can go to the financial aid department of your daughter's school. They are well qualified to help you there.

P.S. Thanks for reminding me that I have to resubmit my FASFA soon.
    lolalaloca13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 09:40 AM
    No.. no... no... I am the one applying to college. It's for my freshman year in the fall. That's why the subject is called independent student. Still need help... can't ask for help at the financial aid department of MY school since I don't know who's accepted me yet.
    LucyL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
    In you case, you should have full Pell for 2007 award year, as long as you don't have education loan in default. When you fill out the FAFSA form, just honestly answer all the questions; follow the instruciton for Worksheet A, B and C, and you will know where you should put all your income resources accordingly on the FAFSA form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor Qualification [ 1 Answers ]

Could a Massage Therapist or Electrologist satisfy the federal requirements to be compensated as an independent agent by a retail salon in Indiana?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

My Girlfriend Wants to be Independent After 4 Years. [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, Well here's the story. Bare with me. We are young (please do not use this part as a reason), and we started dating when she was only 15 and I was only 16. We were both VERY mature for our ages, being she had been home schooled most of her life, and I had just matured through my...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search