Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diane68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 01:47 AM
    My 14 year old son refuses to go to school
    My 14 year old son refuses to go to school some mornings its impossible to get him out of bed please help I am a single parent
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 29, 2010, 06:11 AM
    Talk to the guidance counselor, and maybe some teachers and the principal, even if just to be on record that you are trying and are not a negligent parent.
    Being unable to wake up range from simple to serious health/depression etc. The most common is that he's staying up until the wee hours! Does he have an iPod, stereo, computer, game boxes, comics and books and magazines in his room? Sit down calmly and explain how serious going to school is - it's REQUIRED, and that the electronics will be given away if he can't get out of bed. He's probably in puberty - any signs he's mooning over a girl or anything, or just sex in general? Try to get a feel for what is keeping him up at night without being invasive. Tell him you were 14 once yourself, that you love him, that you don't want to lose him for being a bad parent, and that you need him to help .
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2010, 06:32 AM

I would definitely enforce an early bedtime if getting up in the morning is such an issue for him. He will either choose to get up earlier without the fight or an earlier bedtime with enable him to have a brighter start.

Health issues, drug use or emotional issues may also be at the root of the problem. Does he enjoy school? Does he feel bullied? As a single parent, does he care for himself in the evenings? Try discussing the issue in the evening when he is fresh. Do you have a good communication with him? What steps have you already tried?
    Does he understand as a single parent he needs to do what he can to contribute to the home? Not make the home life more challenging? Some more background would be helpful. What do you believe the other issues are?
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Sep 29, 2010, 07:38 AM

Check and see if it is an emotional issue and if not it is time to put your foot down. Now, I understand I am a little stricter than some with that said, the first time he refused or told me "no" I would bust his butt. After that I would take away everything he owns and every privilege he think he has until he realizes that until he is out of my house he will do what ever I say. School isn't something to mess with. As a parent you can be held responsible for his actions or in this case in actions. People with out a basic college education do not make it very far in today's world. It is not your job to be his friend right now that will come later. Right now your only concern is that you have provided the skills needed to make him a successful member of society. Believe me he will thank you for it later when he has a good life.
    Longshadow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2014, 05:23 AM
    You can try everything I did,and hopefully your child is not as far gone as mine.But yes, it is easier said than done. I have taken the x box away from my 15 year old, drives to the snowboarding hill, computer access and everything else I can think of. My son simply thinks he is a punk who doesn't have to listen to me or any one of authority or rational influence any more now that he has his "homies". Most of the friends he picked up in his first year of High School are under the care of C.A.S. and have now quit school. It does not matter what incentives I have given him, or rational explanations on why he needs his education, and at least a grade 12. I have brought in children's mental health workers, child psychologists, the school, his family, children's aid and there is nothing that inspires him to go to school. I have even offered to take him down south when he finishes school with all of his credits in place. He has been told that here in Ontario you can not even get your full drivers license under a certain age unless you have your grade 12. In 2 weeks he turns 16 and says he is moving out and then no one can bug him to go to school or make him do anything else. I can't seem to do anything right in his mind, he curses me all of the time, has turned into the most verbally abusive person you can imagine. All I think I am capable of doing now is watching him crash and burn, and pray he does not pick up a meth or crack habit along the way.
    What more can I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 05:58 AM
    My son (now 30) tried not to get up a couple times. A bucket of cold water dump on top of him, seem ed to get him out of bed very easily.

No Ipod, not computer, no cell phone, all seemed to get their attention if they failed to listen.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 06:12 AM
    Where does it say that you can't get a drivers license in Ontario without a grade 12 education? Entirely false long shadow. It is 16 to learn and 17 to get a full license in most provinces including Ontario.

I hope he can. Probably independence will improve his attitude.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 06:30 AM
    As this thread was from 2010, it is now closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to discipline 18 year old son/high school senior [ 10 Answers ]

Our son has recently turned 18 and started his senior year. All has been going pretty well. He stays busy with school and working 30 hours per week. On his days off he spends time with his friends which I understand. We don't especially like him spending a lot of time at his 20 year old cousins...

13 year old daughter refuses to go to school? [ 23 Answers ]

Hello, My 13 year old daughter is an extremely stubborn and rebellious child. She gets angry and anxious very easily and we are currently looking to get her into sessions with a Marriage Family Therapist. She has no fear of any type of law (she doesn't wear the seatbelt if she is angry) and thinks...

My 12 year old son is giving me problems in school. [ 4 Answers ]

My 12 year old son is giving me problems in school. I have taken away some his privileges and he still is giving his teachers a hard time at school. He does not want to do his homework and is lazy about doing anything around the house. His whole attitude changed when his dad was back in the picture...

18 Year Old Son a Senior High school [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son whom is in his senior year. I have raised him alone since 1997 along with his sisters. We are at a stage in his life where he is keeping secrets from me about who his friends are, getting high. He is in counceling and on medication for depression. We were close and I new...

6 year old son and school [ 7 Answers ]

As a mother of only one child, how do I respond and should I deal with my son and with teacher as the teacher told me that my son does not respect the teacher because he plays and make funny things in his face and mouth while she explain? Also, the teacher told me that my only son has stolen...

View more questions Search