Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzy53 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 04:09 AM
    Can Simvastatin effect eye sight my husband has dim vision after taking for 3 months?
    My husband had a cholesterol level of 4.5 with not other problems wasn't taking any stain medication , on 6th July he suffered a stroke effecting the left side of his body . He has made a good recovery but hospital policy secondry care states his cholestarol should be 3.6 , so was started on Simvastatin 40mg at night. After taking for 8 weeks he woke with dimmness of vision saus like wearing sunglasses all the time , doctors and opticians have said not related to the stroke. Could it be the medication. He's getting increasingly worried.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 04:22 AM

I don't know what pain meds have to do with cholesterol. Sounds like your husband had some blocked arteries from cholesterol. Yes his level should be lower. He have have cataracts ? What did the optician say? I think your doctor should be the first line on this one, suzy as I don't know your husband's previous medical problems other then what you have stated here.

Speak to his doctor, make a list of what you want to ask before you go, and listen well.

Tick

Sep 30, 2010, 02:57 AM
    Hi Simvastatin is not a pain med .He didn't have blocked arteries causing the stroke it came out of the blue. We have seen the optician and optomotrist and are due to see and opthalmolgist the present all medics cannot explain this . He does not have cataracts His cholesterol level has always been below the requirements of 5.0 so that wasn't a problem. Prior to stroke he was a happy healthy 55 year old. All vision tests show no underlying problems. But thanks for your reply.
    Suzy53
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I dont know what pain meds have to do with cholesterol.
    Tick, check your sources again. Simvastatin is NOT a pain med, but rather a cholesterol lowering medication. It is otherwise known as Zocor.

Unfortunately it's not this particular medication causing these symptoms. Is he on any other medications? If so, it's possible that a combination of medications may be causing this. Otherwise I would suggest seeing possibly a neurologist to rule out other illnesses.
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 07:16 AM

I absolutely know that Simvastatin is cholesterol medication. I was referring to the OPs mention of her husband not being on pain medication.

To quote OP: My husband had a cholesterol level of 4.5 with not other problems wasnt taking any stain medication

Suzy 'this person' who is a health professional, did read your post correctly. But you didn't read mine correctly.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 07:34 AM

I read it when she said "stain" medication, I thought she meant "statin."

OP, can you please clarify?
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 08:09 AM

Yes, she could have meant 'statin'

Oct 1, 2010, 01:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I absolutely know that Simvastatin is cholesterol medication. I was referring to the OPs mention of her husband not being on pain medication.

To quote OP: My husband had a cholesterol level of 4.5 with not other problems wasnt taking any stain medication

Suzy 'this person' who is a health professional, did read your post correctly. But you didnt read mine correctly.
    Thank you for your reply I apologise for the spelling mistake ,it was meant to be Statin, unfortuately in my worry about my husbands health I find it very difficult to "Chill Out" as you say. If the query had have been read correctly you would have seen we have seen several medical professionals . I was looking to see if anybody out there had experienced this whilst taking this medication as you find all sorts of information on the web. Thanks Again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vision is Darker out of left eye than right eye [ 13 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I close one eye at a time and look out in a room, that the room is darker when looking out of my left eye than it is when looking out of my right eye. Also, I am unable to see objects with my left eye in a dark room, that I am able to see with my right eye. I have searched...

Can my accidental eye damage effect my child's vision [ 6 Answers ]

When I was 16 I had mistakenly caused damage to my eyes and now I have BAD vision. The eye doctor said by looking through the microscope my left eye is kind of football shaped causng me to only be allowed to wear strong medicated rigid contact lens. No glasses, they said it was some kind of...

Eye sight [ 2 Answers ]

I need 2 know ' I like 2 box and I planned on sighing up for a boxing gym' but I have a problem' I have a lazy left eye 'i have great vision on my right eye' would I be able 2 box' or is there a rule that says I can't box in the sport of boxing with a lazy eye

Eye sight one eye rapid onset blurring [ 1 Answers ]

One eye has had rapid onset of blurring, like looking through plastic film. Some discomfort.

Simvastatin medications side effect [ 1 Answers ]

Is taken simvastatin safe

View more questions Search