Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdee Posts: 132, Reputation: 20

Sep 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Healthy meals but more calories or unhealthy meals but less overall calories?
    What is better in terms of losing weight... Eating a meal high in fat and sodium but lower calories OR eating a healthier meal lower in fat and sodium but more calories?

Basically I have noticed the following about myself. I like to eat a relatively unhealthy breakfast (McDonalds, etc). But once I do, I feel pretty satisfied so that I can get by with a minimal lunch and a healthy dinner. When I try to be totally healthy all day with my meals, I will eat more calories because I will constantly be unsatisfied and a little hungry and will snack more and eat more at my meals. Even though the snacks and meals are all very healthy, I realize that I have taken in more total calories than when I eat a fatty breakfast that holds me over.

I'm thinking that maybe I should stick with the unhealthy breakfast since it holds me over the rest of the day and my total calorie intake is lower. But that breakfast is high in fat and sodium so I wonder if it is worse in the long run.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 28, 2010, 05:15 PM

I think the unhealthy breakfast is worse in the long run. I mean calories isn't the only thing about eating healthy. Eating unhealthy food (especially Mcdonald's!) every day has other consequences like high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. Maybe you could try eating more healthy foods that fill you. Try replacing your breakfast with a smoothie made of fresh fruits, milk, and yogurt and see if it makes you full.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 05:33 PM

Part of it is learning and allowing your body to get used to proper foods. And if needed good healthy snacks if needed.

Sep 28, 2010, 06:49 PM

Yeah I agree that the high cholesterol, sodium and sat. fats cannot be good. But The calorie difference between my two eating styles are quite large... I mean I did the unhealthy breakfast and ate just 1300 calories today and feel great. When I do the other "healthy diet", I take in close to 2000 calories. But the fat and sodium intake is 1/3 less. But 700 calories is a lot...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2010, 03:56 AM
    A breakfast that keeps me going is oatmeal, and I add to it (pre-mix a batch of wheat germ, chopped nuts, raisins, and cranberries which I keep in the freezer because I can only find the fresh ones once a year). Second on my list is an egg on healthy toast. You need some carbs to burn in the morning.
    In the hot months, just dry cereal.
    I'd go with the higher calories too, if you feel you have to choose between the 2.
    1300 calories of which how many were the McD breakfast? Ouch. And what exactly is that breakfast?

Oct 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    I like to eat two egg mcmuffins (300 calories each) which comes out to 600 calories. It satisfies me so well that I just eat healthy snacks for lunch (300 calorie health shake) and dinner (400 calorie healthy meal)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 03:50 PM

I agree, why limit to either one or the other? The choices for low cal, high nutrient meals/snacks are huge! You just need to do a little more searching and trying different things to increase your repertoire of choices so that you don't get bored or feel unsatisfied... :)

Do a search for healthy low calorie foods as a starting place.

If you are able to bump up your fitness level, the close to 2000 calories won't be as much of an issue, but even still, you should be able to get that down with some different choices.

Going with the higher fat, sodium, and cholesterol defeats the whole purpose of trying to get fit and healthy. Even if you did lose some weight faster, you would actually be less healthy in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Converting J, calories, Calories, and KJ [ 2 Answers ]

1.) How much heat is absorbed when 132.2g of water is heated from 12.0 degrees Celsius to 85.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and kilojoules. 2.) Specific Heat for water is 4.18 J/g Celsius degrees. How much heat is absorbed when 16.8g of water is heated from 3.0 degrees Celsius...

Vegetarian meals [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and thoroughly enjoying it. Now, a question, please! For reasons of both health and economy I am trying to cook more vegetarian meals. The problem is, everything I produce seems to taste of the same three things - tomato, garlic and chili. Please...

Ideas for healthy wholesome meals [ 3 Answers ]

I need some ideas of healthy wholsome yummy meals. We are trying to improve the way we eat, aand don't quite know where to start. Please any advice on this matter will be awsome!

Healthy baby meals? [ 4 Answers ]

My son is very under weight for 15month year old, the things that I've tried are not working. Does any one know of a good breakfast, luch, and dinner for his age? Excluding Baby food products(gerber,baby cereal)

View more questions Search