Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Sep 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Main breaker trips
    I live in a town house. My main breaker is outside near the electric meter . The power goes from comed into meter to the main breaker then to my circuit box in my basement. I have never had problems now the main breaker has tripped and all power is shut down. No individual circuits trip. Comed says it is an internal problem. I have an electrcian coming in two days. Any ideas. Once the main is switched back on in about five hours it trips again. Only had on the TV and a couple lights.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 01:22 PM

Try with all inside circuit breakers off, if it still trips, it is either wiring shorted before it gets to the panel. An Amprobe would be handy to see what amount current if any at all is tripping it. Could be a defective Breaker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100A main circuit breaker trips [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hot tub running off a 50A GFCI sub panel to a 60A circuit breaker in the main panel. After about ten minutes of running both pumps on the hot tub, the main 100A breaker trips and it is warm with an odour coming from the main breaker. I have checked all the breakers in the...

Bathroom GFI outlet trips breaker at breaker panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. Our house is approximately 13 years old. Each morning when both the iron and blow dryer is plugged into two separate GFI outlets in the master bathroom, the circuit will trip the 15 amp breaker in the breaker panel. Is it possible to upgrade the breaker to a 20 amp without...

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

View more questions Search