Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onemarilynfan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
    I was given 1/2 of a reward,how do I make them give me the rest??
    Okay, this is a strange situation. I am a frequent shopper at my local video store. I knew of someone in my neighborhood who was stealing movies from there, and selling them for five bucks! I love all the people at this store,and I knew a lot of information about this person. So, I began sleuthing.lol! He was stealing about 45 movies A WEEK! I got EVERYTHING on him, address phone number when he was doing it. I knew someone who knew him,so I asked about buying one, and I did! I was so scared. I took it right to the store and turned it in,proving I had the goods on him. The manager didn't know who it was until my help came. They gave me $500. (the reward was $1000) I didn't even know about the reward in the beginning! But I sure was happy to find out! They informed me, that when he was caught, I would get the rest.Well, two weeks ago, I was in the parking lot, I saw his car, I ran in and told the manager he was coming in right then. She watched him, but didn't SEE him do it.But they called the cops, he was pulled over leaving the store, He was arrested for an outstanding warrant, and found with two movies on his person! YEA! I thought, I did the right thing, and would get the rest of my money!(FINALLY, KARMA) Well, I have been emailing the video store (they called me right back when I was giving them all the info)many times, and NO ONE is responding! I feel pretty USED! I put myself in danger, being found out.They don't seem to be keeping THEIR word now, and I'm getting pretty enraged by this. Don't they HAVE to give me this $? I did exactly what I said I would do, and he was caught with the movies right on him! What do I do now?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 10:47 AM

Usually you get the other half when the person is convicted - an arrest means little.

Did they specifically say when the person is arrested?

Sep 28, 2010, 11:13 AM

The person was arrested two weeks ago, minutes after I told the manager he was stealing,he left the store and was pulled over then. He was taken to jail for a previous warrant and because of the movies he stole! And when they gave me the first half, the specifically said "when he was caught, I would get the rest" They just wanted him to be stopped, they said for such petty things, they usually don't prosecute people. So, if they choose not to, that's not my fault! I just think it's kind of funny how they couldn't call me fast enough when I was spilling all the info! Now, they got him, he hasn't, and I'm sure won't come back to THAT store, I've saved them thousands! He had been doing this for YEARS! He used to go around the neighborhood trying to sell people his movies.. lol.. how stupid! But, the point is, I informed the management minutes before he came in the store, so I was the one who made it possible for his arrest, so, I feel I should be paid!
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onemarilynfan View Post
    The person was arrested two weeks ago, minutes after I told the manager he was stealing,he left the store and was pulled over then. He was taken to jail for a previous warrant and b/c of the movies he stole! And when they gave me the first half, the specifically said "when he was caught, I would get the rest" They just wanted him to be stopped, they said for such petty things, they usually don't prosecute ppl. So, if they choose not to, thats not my fault! I just think it's kinda funny how they couldn't call me fast enough when I was spilling all the info! Now, they got him, he hasn't, and I'm sure wont come back to THAT store, I've saved them thousands! He had been doing this for YEARS! He used to go around the neighborhood trying to sell ppl his movies..lol..how stupid! But, the point is, I informed the management minutes before he came in the store, so I was the one who made it possible for his arrest, so, I feel I should be paid!

Welcome to the world of snitches - yes, the system works this way.

Take the store to Small Claims Court and make your argument - how/why the legal system works won't enter into it. If the store management said you would get 1/2 reward now and the other 1/2 when he's caught, well, he's been caught so go to Court and get your other half.

I didn't even realize video stores paid rewards if customers turn in thieves.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... Take the store to Small Claims Court and make your argument -...
    You are going to have to explain how you figure the store is legally obligated to pay you. I don't think they are contractually obligated. You found the thief without expecting to be rewarded. You didn't accept their offer because you didn't know about until after. I don't see any contract here.

And without a contract, you don't have a case. If someone promises to make you a gift and later changes his mind, and just gives you half of what he said he was going to give you, that's just tough luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
    NO ONE is responding! I feel pretty USED! I put myself in danger, being found out. What do I do now?
    Hello o:

Nobody likes a snitch. They use you up and when they get they want, you're garbage. But, they made a deal with you and they need to keep it. Don't call them anymore. Sue them in small claims court.

Better do it quick. Video stores are going out of business right and left.

excon

Sep 28, 2010, 03:06 PM

WOW! I am shocked by the responses here! I don't make it a habit of turning in people. Maybe you didn't see that I didn't at first, do it for the reward! I did it because I liked being a customer at the store, and I am sick of seeing the prices go up because of so much theft! And I also failed to mention that this guy is for one, a wife beater, two,sells drugs to kids in our neighborhood, and Im sorry if you feel like I am a 'snitch' but if this MORON knocks at my door, asking me if I want to buy a movie for 5 bucks,I clearly see the name of the video store on the DVD, I guess I should be like most people and be like, hell yeah, what a good deal,gimme one of those! Im sorry if I don't like people to rip off places that I like to shop at!
    See, after I told them about the guy, the manager told me there was a reward for this! So, tell me, would you people who think Im a snitch,keep your mouth shut?I told on him because he is a piece of ****, and it was the right thing to do! I guess that is how we are now, we just look the other way. I hope that if one of your kids were being hurt, there would be a 'snitch' out there to tell what happened,right! Or maybe you would prefer they not be a snitch, and just keep their mouths shut!

Sep 28, 2010, 03:13 PM

But, I think I will TRY to tell these people that I am talking to a lawyer or have a lawyer call them, it would be worth it, I feel. It's not really about the money,it's only $500! It's the fact that they PROMISED me, and I really worked hard on this. And, even if you don't think I did the right thing,it made me feel good. I felt like I had helped out, sort of. Maybe I'm crazy,and I'm sure that no one else sees it that way. The dvd's went up from $2.40 to $2.80, and when I asked why, ( months ago,before this!) they said they were losing about 100 dvd's a week from theft. I should NOT have to pay more (no matter how little it is) so some lazy ***, can drug it up,steal ****, and live for free. That was my original point here! Anyway, thanks for all the comments!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 03:25 PM

Hello again, o:

You misunderstand. Because people told you that snitches aren't well liked, doesn't mean they wanted you to shut up. Plus, NOBODY here thinks it's cool to steal and do bad... Yes, it's a little skitzoid. But, that's how the public is. They don't like snitches. I can't explain it. Cops don't like 'em either... All I'm doing is telling you how it is.

In ANY case, you certainly should go after your money. No, don't have a lawyer CALL them. The lawyer will charge you a fortune to do that. Time for talking is OVER. SUE them. A small claims suit is quick, cheap and easy.

excon

Sep 28, 2010, 03:47 PM

Well thank you excon, you made me feel better, I thought I was a piece of **** there for a minute... lol! I am going to do that if I don't hear anything tomorrow. You should have heard them, when they said they were sending me $500, they were like, "oh, as soon as we catch him, we will send the rest" I was so happy. And THEY weren't even the ones who caught him,I was, and they would still be getting 100 movies a week ripped off! I have spent $4000 with this store over the past 4 yrs, I was a good customer, now, they can get ****ed, really, because after I get my money, I'm goin' to redbox... lol
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 04:01 PM

No, you went a little far, most likely got caught up in the "CSI" adventure of it, going and buying the stolen movie ( guess what) that makes you a criminal, buying and possession of stolen property, the store could have actually called the police on you, since you were not doing it officially for the police.

Next there was no contract really, you did all of this before you knew of the reward. And yes I have never seen a reward at arrest, it is always at conviction. And you may be asked to testify against the person in court to present the evidence you found. ** if not, he will only be arrested for the two movies they found on him at the time ( just a shoplifting charge, not a major theft charge)

You really are lucky in the fact that the store did not suspect you were part of the theft ring ( and not to say you are not being investigated by the police still) and turned in the other person for some personal reason.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2010, 07:41 AM

I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open in sheer disbelief. Here you decided to stop the thief not knowing about the "reward" and you're now crabbing because they didn't pay you the other half? Incredible. You've already "made" $500 you didn't know you were "entitled to" and now want more... unbelieveable to put it mildly.

The video store owes you nothing more if they so choose to. Possibly after the perp is convicted THEN you would get the rest. In the meantime just be content to count your $500 over and over again.

Sep 29, 2010, 09:35 AM

I just want to say this. The poster says... ****** Video will pay $1000 to anyone with info about harm caused to any employee or any store. The person will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    It does not say anything about (there is no small print here!)having to be convicted first. Its not like they don't have him on video doing this, they already knew. He just chose to come in at very busy times, and they could never catch him. They didn't know anything about him before. Just a basic description! And, I am only pissed because this was what they said they would do, I don't care if it was only a reward of free movie rentals, its not the point. Im sick of people not doing what they promise to do, especially big businesses,they say their going to do something, they should do it! PERIOD!
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2010, 10:00 AM

Do what I suggested - take the store to Small Claims Court. PERIOD.

No one here can give you any more or any better advice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
    I just want to say this. The poster says...****** Video will pay $1000 to anyone with info about harm caused to any employee or any store. The person will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    It does not say anything about (there is no small print here!)having to be convicted first. Its not like they dont have him on video doing this, they already knew. He just chose to come in at very busy times, and they could never catch him. They didnt know anything about him before. Just a basic description! And, I am only pissed b/c this was what they said they would do, I don't care if it was only a reward of free movie rentals, its not the point. Im sick of ppl not doing what they promise to do, especially big businesses,they say their going to do something, they should do it! PERIOD!
    You seem to have a huge problem with other people who get away with stealing. Your other thread went on and on about a supervisor at your job who kept stealing. Now you're going on and on about some video store thief.

You're pissed because you didn't get the rest of the "free" money... You need to keep ragging on the video store owner just HOW much money you supposedly saved them by alerting them to the thief and that you think you "deserve" the rest of the money.

Otherwise... please do what JKT above said to do. Go to small claims court and tell your sob story to the judge and let the judge decide if you get the rest of the "free" money. Complaining to us that "we" don't understand is just futile and frankly a waste of our time to keep telling you this. And this is not a blog. This is a site where we try to help people with their problems with viable solutions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He won't let me make amends.. Give up [ 38 Answers ]

Please don't yell and put me down for this. I have suffered depression and have already attempted to end my life three times over this. The guilt is eating me up and I have no clue why I did this. My ex boyfriend dumped me and he had very good reasons. I betrayed him by omitting, so basiclly a...

How to make a mold of frnt bumper +Fender a mass produce>bumper plastic rest fibergls [ 11 Answers ]

I want to know how to make a mold of a front bumper a fender and a hood and it has to be obviously different from factory or anyone else so I can pattent it which I will do myself but I need to know how to make a few molds and how to mass produce using fiberglass for the fender and hood and using...

Give sex a rest? [ 2 Answers ]

In the past, I have taken ovulation tests to find out if I was ovulating. I did it right as soon as I woke up when I knew I was getting close. And even at that, me and my fiancé are very sexually active anyway. As soon as it said I was ovulating I went for the kill. We had sex several times a day...

Well I want it peirced they won't let me ,how do I make them give in? [ 2 Answers ]

I want my cartlidge peirced and yeah usual story my mom said no . Messed up yeah I know right! I simply stated my case saying that I could take care of it , I could pay for it and she said no , and without whinning or going off into a frenzy I asked her simply what her objections was , she said it...

View more questions Search