Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    modernromance09 Posts: 93, Reputation: -1

Sep 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
    Are humans meant to be monogamous?
    Just a random thought. I don't know if I am just paranoid or just not capable of trusting others.. but by nature are humans meant to be monogamous? If they aren't, why do people do it? Religion? Social pressure? How did this all start?
    411Help Posts: 428, Reputation: 103

Sep 28, 2010, 12:06 AM

That's an interesting philosophical question. The answer will vary amongst people. If you ask someone on one part of the world, they may answer differently on the other. We may never know. The question is, what do you believe in?
    Divstar Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2010, 04:11 AM

Actually science seems to suggest we are anything but monogamous =/
    modernromance09 Posts: 93, Reputation: -1

Sep 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Well, with my luck with men and what I observe in other peoples relationships I suppose I would have to go with no, I don't think we are meant to be monogamous. I guess I still have hope though.. and I agree that people may have different views depending on where they are from. I think it all depends on where and how we were raised. I just wonder how things were back in the caveman days haha and if anything has possibly changed with time?
    beachloverjohn Posts: 491, Reputation: 242

Sep 28, 2010, 09:01 AM

The reason "some " people are monogamous is because they believe in one simple rule. Commitment. But are humans naturally monogamous? No, not if you believe in evolution.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2010, 08:33 PM

My answer would be NO.
    I believe you have to work for it, if it is something you want.
    Some people are that way because they do not want to grow old alone, some have found the perfect partner
    Some need the 'new' part over and over again.
    I just want to be happy:)
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 08:46 PM

I say no. In my opinion, I don't believe humans were meant to be monogamous.

As some people like a commitment, I for one find it to be a challenge that I don't really want to deal with.

To me, monogamy is a fairytale.

This princess has found her happily ever after, and it doesn't require a prince...
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 01:55 AM

Are humans meant to be monogamous?
    Are humans meant to be honest?
    Are humans meant to be kind?
    Are humans meant to be compassionate?
    Are humans meant to be generous?

I think humans are meant to be capable of being intelligent enough to decide the answers to all questions like these for themselves.

There is no yes or no answer.

And right or wrong is determined by social standards and local morals.

We are meant to be human and find the answers , not be born with them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2010, 04:39 AM
    Well I'm puling it off so far so I must be a minority or I'm good at going against all the instincts.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2010, 03:50 PM

As far as guys go... the little head says play the field... luckily for most of us the big head runs the show and monogany has its advantages at the cost of the excitement of playing the field.

Fair tradeoff... as far as I'm concerned.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2010, 05:55 AM

Hello m:

I have trouble with the word "meant". It would suggest that there's someone in charge and made rules about it... I don't think that's so, therefore I don't think we're MEANT to DO anything..

excon
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello m:

I have trouble with the word "meant". It would suggest that there's someone in charge and made rules about it... I don't think that's so, therefore I don't think we're MEANT to DO anything..

excon
    You are always so entertaining to me.
    I 'meant' that in a good way:D
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
    If you want to keep your nice home that sits next to the river, you will. And your Harley, and your 67 Malibu. When you come home and find everything you collected since you were a kid, burning in the driveway, you can learn to be monogamous. It is a learned behavior... for a lot of us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where and how did the first humans originate [ 2 Answers ]

How did the first humans originate?

Can genital warts be spread back and forth between monogamous partners? [ 1 Answers ]

We just found out we have hpv, the kind that causes genital warts. We have stopped having sex because we are afraid we will keep spreading each other warts. From what I understood, once you are infected you cannot be reinfected. I understand the warts can spread, but is the spreading caused by...

I'm in a monogamous, long distance relationship. Is phone sex cheating? [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I broke up over the summer. Now, we're sort of-not really together. She and I live about a thousand miles apart as she finished school. It's not a relationship. But neither of us are actively seeking someone else. We text just about every day and talk about once a week on the...

How can a monogamous couple get chlamydia? [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been together since 2005 in a completely monogamous relationship. I was tested in 2006 for chlamydia and it came back negative. I was recently tested again and told I do have it. How is this possible if we have never been with anyone else since we got together in 2005? Was...

Humans [ 3 Answers ]

How long have humans inhabited the earth? Thanks! -alison

View more questions Search