Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zack14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Nellie Newton applies a force of 50 n to the end of a lever, which is moved a certain
    Nellie Newton applies a force of 50 n to the end of a lever, which is moved a certain distance. If the other end of the lever moves one-third as far, show that the force it exerts is 150 n.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 11:56 PM

Make a simple sketch of the situation. It always helps.

You do know your formulae, right?

Moment of a force = Fd

Where F is the force applied and d is the perpendicular distance from the pivot. Since here the ratio of the distance done by the ends of the lever is the same as the ratio of the distance from the ends to the pivot, we can say that d here is also the distance the lever moved.

Now, since the moment of the force is the same everywhere (only one lever is involved), we get:

Fn is force that Nellie applies
    dn is the distance covered by Nellie
    Fl is the force that the lever 'applies'
    dl is the distance covered by the lever.

Find Fl, and you'll see it equals 150 N.

I hope it helps! :)
    zack14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 02:12 AM
    Thank you :)

Nice explanation, I appreciate that.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 02:15 AM

You're welcome :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moved from N.H to G.A at the end of Nov. Do I file GA Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Moved my family from N.H to G.A at the end of Nov. I continue to work for the same company since I have been working from home the last 6 years. Do I file GA Taxes? I usually do my own taxes using TurboTax, this year I not sure if I have to file for both states NH and GA, I also made some...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

Which statute applies [ 23 Answers ]

My mother purchased some goods from Sears in 2001. Shortly after purchasing these items,my mother and step father divorced... she never paid any payments on this merchandise. (It is still in her former home) She moved here in October 2001 and had a judgement against her in 2007. Which statute...

Nellie the monster [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible that the lochness monster is a real creature? I want to believe, but I don't know..

John Deere 160 Down-Stop lever and Lift Lever [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deere 160 lawn tractor. I need a good diagram of the spring attachment for the Down-Stop lever. The Lift lever is stuck and the mower deck does not move up or down correctly. Do you have a diagram to place the down-:confused: stop lever return spring in the proper location. I do...

View more questions Search