Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ToriQ34 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 03:37 AM
    Any medical conditions that cause a hair test to be positive
    Are there ANY medical conditions that can cause a hair folicle test to be positive for methamphetamine or amphetamines if there has been no drug use?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 05:13 AM
    I am not certain,but in my experience, no,there are not any that would show positives,, those are rather selective and a false positive for either would be rare.

Depending on the testing lab,the reliability of the test itself,etc.. legally there MIGHT be an out, but most likely,no,positive is positive.

Take the tests again and see if they are the same results.Even if it's at a request to those that ordered the tests, be it probation/parole or job testing.. ask for a second test.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 07:16 AM

As KBC has noted, there is no medical condition that would cause a false positive. However, any medication containing amphetamine would show positive.

Passive exposure can produce a low level positive but, in that case, confirmation testing should have checked for metabolites.

If the test was performed by competent technicians and reviewed by an MRO they are reasonably accurate. But laboratories are poorly regulated, use variant standards and often fail to perform the necessary chemical cleansing and confirmation steps.

If you know the results are in error there are avenues that you can pursue after the action recommended by KBC above.

Hair drug testing is a multi-step process that requires a high level of training and proficiency in conducting the test and interpreting it as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a hair test pop positive if I've been clean for 6 months [ 2 Answers ]

I just got the results back from my hair test for alcohol and it came back positive when I have been clean the whole time the results were 3.264ng/mg how is that possible? The levels for an chronic alcoholic is >1.ong/mg I wash my hair daily and use hair products which all contain alcohol I need an...

Positive hair test @ waork, is it possible to get doghair mixed in? [ 7 Answers ]

Positive hair test taken @ work. I do not and have not smoked in over 14 yrs. I am wondering if it is possible that a hair off a dog could have gotten stuck in sample to provide pos results. Don't know if the test would tell the difference in the different hair(dog to human)? I am grasping at...

I just had a blood test ANA positive SS-b for sjogren's slightly positive [ 7 Answers ]

Does this mean I definitely have Sjogren's?:confused:

False Positive in Hair Follicle Test - THC [ 10 Answers ]

Where to start... I applied for a job and got a hair follicle test done. My hair is about 1.5 inches long. A week later I get a call from the employer telling me that results came back positive to marijuana. I do not do and have not done marijuana in over 12 years. Is it possible to get false...

View more questions Search