Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rebel1st Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2010, 06:38 AM
    Later in life did St.Augustine believe Adam disobeying GOD lost man's his freewill?
    Towards the end of his life ,St. Augustine said that 'original sin' overcame man's freewill and man lost his freewill when Adam disobeyed GOD . Therefore St. Augustine joined Calvin and Martin Luther in denying that man had freewill and that his will was bound by GOD's WILL . In other words predestination. I will agree in his confessions he sided with the Church idea of 'freewill of man' but remember Galileo agreed that the earth did not revolve around the sun under pressure from the Church ,even both knew it did.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 27, 2010, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1st View Post
    Towards the end of his life ,St. Augustine said that 'original sin' overcame man's freewill and man lost his freewill when Adam disobeyed GOD . Therefore St. Augustine joined Calvin and Martin Luther in denying that man had freewill and that his will was bound by GOD's WILL . In other words predestination. I will agree in his confessions he sided with the Church idea of 'freewill of man' but remember Galileo agreed that the earth did not revolve around the sun under pressure from the Church ,even both knew it did.
    Hi Rebel,

If you are putting forward the thesis that St. Augustine was somehow under duress to deny man had free will then I would be most interested in your sources.

St. Augustine's "City of God" seems to be defense of the church in the face of the sacking of Rome in about 400.At least in spiritual terms.

From what I have read it seems to be that St. Augustine spent much of his time trying to reconcile free will and predestination. I don't think his position changed, even in later life. Again, I would be interested in why would think this is not the case.

I agree that St. Augustine did think original sin impacted greatly on our capacity to be a moral agent. He also thinks that our base instincts tend to override our capacity to do right over wrong and this accounts for his explanation of original sin. St. Augustine did more than any other Christian philosopher to develop the concept of original sin.

I also have a problem with the idea that we have free will under the condition that it is bounded by God's will. I don't see how this fits into any accepted version of predestination.

Regards

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

God I cannot do a poem to save my life! [ 4 Answers ]

I need to make a Poem for a assingment in Junior English but its not going to be graded and the theme has to have something to do with the voice of my Generation and I of all things say I would make one on Fail (like in Failblog) can anyone help me? :(

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Lost God [ 9 Answers ]

I have lost faith in god how can god be real the world is dying slowing and there is nothing no one can do. Earthquakes killing 1000s ,tsunamis,typhoids,tornadoes. How can god just not do anything god has been created to make us feel safe but the truth is there is no god

Lost in my man's heartlessness [ 9 Answers ]

Im totally lost now. This was my first long-term relationship. I went out with this guy who was supposed to be the love of my life for 4 years and suddenly out of the blue, he called it quits. We decided to move in together only after 7 months into our relationship. Both of us love travelling and...

View more questions Search