Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v0825 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 03:16 AM
    Toyota Scandal
    What kind of services or training do you think Toyota should give to the customers to gain back its reputation after the scandal occurred?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 05:46 AM

What "scandal" are you referring to?
    What "services or training" would you recommend? Why?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2010, 05:58 AM

None.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2010, 06:34 AM

Toyota made a decision in the early 2000's that they would lower quality in order to be able to fund their goal of becoming the biggest automaker in the U.S. That's not my opinion, they have said it many times over the past months. Here is one article:
    Toyota president pinpoints date of quality decline: 2003 - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Also, Toyota has been accused of covering up safety problems, and in several cases not notifying U.S. facilities and gov. agencies of serious problems that have come to light in Europe and other areas.

I am a Toyota owner and I have serious doubts about buying another Toyota. Honesty and integrity are important to me. When a company gives me indications that might be dishonest I often make a clean break immediately. I did it with a new bank (new to me) last week when they told me they had to see and make a copy of my SS card before I could open my accounts. Then, the employee who had told me that lied in front of her boss when I challenged her. I will never deal with folks who I know have lied from the beginning.

The problem is---there are plenty of good banks to choose from, but very few automakers have the performance record that Toyota has. If I had to buy a car right now, based on the records that I trust I would have to seriously consider a Toyota in spite of their problems.

I think the question is--Did Toyota endanger its customers safety by lowering quality? Or did they substitute parts that will last 20 years instead of the former 25 years? Durability issues or safety or both?

I would be impressed if they extended warranties (even those that have expired) for all their vehicles that were made after the decision was announced that quality was going to be lowered (about 2003). Mine is a 2001, so I wouldn’t get anything but I would still be impressed.

Then maybe offering every owner of a recalled vehicle a guaranteed free loaner vehicle if recall repairs will require more than say 4 hours. Retroacive payment if repairs estimated to take less than 4 hours actually take more than 4 hours, or some other show of good faith. If Toyota's lowered quality standards affected safety, the recalls will continue as vehicles made after 2003 (7 years worth) age and the problems come to light. If Toyota knows that they didn't affect safety with their lowered quality, future recalls of the vehicles made in the "lowered quality years" shouldn't be a big concern to them, and they should be able to offer customers the above added benefits without much risk to Toyota.

I have a recall notice from Toyota affecting a 2001 model. A metal component in the steering wheel lock system can fail (break in the middle) and the steering wheel can lock in one position while driving at highway speeds! My car wasn't even built during the lowered quality years but people see it as yet another Toyota recall. Inferior metal is the problem and it is definitely a quality issue.

Toyota needs to bend over backwards if they want to keep their loyal customers, at a time when the regulators are also under the gun, and will pull the "recall trigger" in a heartbeat. I think they have lost a lot of their new customer base, and many old customers are watching very closely to see how their fellow loyal Toyota customers are treated. If Toyota continues to ignore the facts and hope for the best, the public will knock them off their pedestal, in the U.S. especially.

If Toyota sits back and does nothing, they need to know that hope is not a strategy. They need to show loyalty to and support of the folks who have brought them to this point over many years, because in all likelihood the bad PR recalls are going to continue.
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2010, 06:54 AM

I don't claim any financial expertise but I can do arithmetic:

Stock prices over past one year:

Toyota: DOWN 11%
    Honda: Up 12%
    Ford: Up 70%
    DJI: Up 11%

I realize there are many factors that affect prices, but I think even Toyota knows there is a problem.
    v0825 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 07:31 AM
    I am referring to the Toyota scandal. As you have probably read from the news or heard from others. Or maybe not.
    But yeah, Toyota vehicles do have some problem which cause death and injuries. Example of its problem includes the accelerator, floormat and such.
    I was asking for the services and trainings that Toyota should provide if they want to gain back their reputation after what had happened
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2010, 11:00 AM

That's what I thought I gave you. If you are talking about training their employees--first would be reversing what they have been teaching their employees about quality--that management lowering their expections was OK. It obviously wasn't OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The real mortgage scandal [ 14 Answers ]

I read something on this a while back and finally found another column on it thanks to Sweetness & Light... And so what are the contenders' solutions to this crisis, brought on in the name of fairness, equality and other warm and fuzzy nonsense? Hillary wants a moratorium on...

Funny UST scandal.avi.exe [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am having serious problem with the Funny UST scandal.avi.exe virus. I want a solution to remove this virus. Thanks

Whoops, *another* Republican caught in sex scandal [ 6 Answers ]

Wash. legislator resigns over gay sex scandal | KTVB.COM | Regional News | Boise, Idaho News, Weather, Sports & Traffic This is happening with alarming regularity.

Protein bar scandal? [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard some talk about protein bars and how more than half of them LIE about the suppliment facts of their bar such as amount of fat, sat fat and other facts. Does anyone know any "trustworthy" protein bars out there that can assure me I am getting what I think I bought?

View more questions Search