Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wyguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 01:50 AM
    Father passed away
    Hi...

My dad passed away of cancer at age 40 sadly and I ended up seeing his best friend not to long ago and he asked me about certain things that I should have. When he passed away my step mother gave me a box full of a few shirts,a jacket,picture, and a wallet, and mark martin small scale racecar. Now I'm not a greedy person nor do I want to sell anything my dad had but I thought it was a little odd that I was collecting SS benefits when he was sick and when he passed away SS sent me a letter saying I now get such amount cause he passed away. A month later I receive a letter saying my step mother signed something that said she is the sole benefecier or some crap and I owe such amount from the new payment from the month before. One more thing though... I was going through his very few things I had and found a wallet that had his old bank card in it.

I was wondering if there is anything I could do to get the things I should have got item wise from my step mom. Also if there is anything I can do about the SS thing and if I can get anything from his bank account? I am just wanting to know because I found out my step mom was seeing someone from my dads work while he was sick and he moved in a month after he passed away and never heard from her since. Im more less worried about the items he had but kind of thinking they aren't around anymore so hope to get some kind of cash I guess to buy a old school truck my dad sold to someone before he passed away and they are currently selling it.

Sorry if those sounds stupid but its really important and figured I would try and find out what I can do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2010, 04:44 AM

First, did he leave a will? Second, you need to define exactly what SS benefits you are referring to.

Sep 26, 2010, 01:53 PM
    I received benefits from him being sick. I would receive a check every month and when he passed they upped the amount and then after that like I said I got a letter from them saying my step mom pretty much stopped me from getting them. I also forgot that she put her kids on down as his and they would get money but really she most likely took it cause her kids were too young at the time.

I don't know how or why I was receiving the checks really and at the time I didn't think anything of it until things came out about my step mom.

I am currently 21 so does that mean I am not entitled to any benefits. He didn't leave a will that I know of. I would call her to but she nevers answers or returns calls
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 02:19 PM

Unless you're a full time student then your not entitled to any benefits at this time. Also I didn't see the state mentioned that this is happening in.

Sep 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
    I live in Michigan. I planned on starting college this winter since I took a break from school after I graduated. What would I have to do to start receiving benefits again? If its too much trouble I'm not that worried about it. I am more less pissed at all the belongs that I don't have.

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wyguy View Post
    I live in michigan. I planned on starting college this winter since i took a break from school after i graduated. What would i have to do to start receiving benefits again? If its to much trouble im not that worried about it. I am more less pissed at all the belongs that I don't have.
    Unfortunately the benefits are not a pick kind of thing. Since you had a break then it ended even if you go back now.

Sep 26, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Ahhh all right

Well thanks for clearing everything up. Guess I should have did something sooner about this
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2010, 04:20 PM

I asked if there was a will? You never answered. Did you ever contact the SSA to follow up on that letter?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2010, 05:14 PM

This happened 3 years ago? Why didn't you do something then?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father recently passed with no will [ 2 Answers ]

My father recently passed and there was no will. Now my stepmother wants his remaining children to sign some form she sent to us regarding the sale of his pickup and travel trailer, we do not want to sign because we had asked her we wanted to keep these as areminder of time with our father. Do we...

Father Passed Away [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away on the 3rd of June due to a 16 year battle with Prostate Cancer. The last year I made sure I was there at every dr. appt and chemo appt. for support for my mom as well as my dad. Now that he is gone I am with my mother about every day my dad made me promise to not leave her...

My father passed [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed left inheritance. Married 18 years. Is my spouse entitled to my inheritance?

Father passed [ 9 Answers ]

My father passed this life on Jan 2, I was with him at his passing. He went down hill quickly since Thanksgiving. At that time he could still walk across the floor, but Christmas he was confined to his bed. His passing was peaceful in his sleep. He will truly be missed.

View more questions Search