Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tea09 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 07:08 PM
    English, Psychology, Journalism, Communications and Social Work all bad majors?
    I'm in my first semester of my sophomore year of college and I have to pick a major by the time I go to re-register for winter classes in November. I've been between majors since I came to college, and I've remained undecided but now that I have to choose I don't know which path to take. People keep telling me to get into healthcare or education but hospitals and doctors offices give me the creeps (I don't have the guts for that) and I don't like kids (at least not enough to be with them most of the day and over half the year)... Right now I'm finishing up my general education and I'm taking a journalism class which I find interesting but everyone keeps saying I should pick something else. Random tidbits online say that English and Psychology are useless and you can't do anything with them and I can't really find much about communications... If you were me, at this crossroads would you omit all of these? If you would pick any which ones would they be? Please help me, I'm going crazy because I can't make this decision!
    Catsysue Posts: 42, Reputation: 18

Sep 26, 2010, 08:27 AM
    First of all, this can only be your decision. I can share a few facts that I know from experience with my own children. Journalism will lead to work as a news reporter (for a regular paycheck) or you will have to freelance (a little risky); wages are low with a high degree of working late hours and with deadlines. My son tried this for a year and, even though he was very good, it did not make him happy. In psychology, you need to advance to at least a Master's degree to get anywhere. In social work, you should obtain a Master's degree and work toward becoming a LCSW. I also remember that my mother told me to find something I was good at and try to figure out how to make a living doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internships for education majors [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for some paid summer internships I am an education major.. I live in Georgia... any information??

Questin about my ex sorry for bad english [ 4 Answers ]

So me and my girlfriend broke up about 2 years a go and I told her if your not with me then forget about me and she said OK and first 3 weeks didn't call me and then she send me a lot of text and when I told her I told you forget about me she was like I was going to send it to my friend and stuff...

How do you get Into Journalism. [ 4 Answers ]

First of all, Hello. My name is Jack and I am 12. When I am older I would like to be a Sports Journalist ( Soccer) I think I have what it takes and I have a very broad knowledge of Soccer. But I am not to sure about how to get into the industry.. This year in yr 7 I just got my report and noticed...

My son will finish AU with 3 majors [ 1 Answers ]

:D My son is 27 years old and will graduate Anderson University in Anderson Indiana next summer. His majors are computer science, physic, and math. He worked with my son-in-law in Houston, TX for five years prior to starting school doing environmental work air, soil and water (testing, injecting,...

View more questions Search