Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheritune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Relinquish Rights
    I am mother of 10 year old that has never met his bio-father. I have been married for 5 years now to someone else; who has assumed all parental responsibilities for my son - in fact, my son knows nothing of his bio-father (at choice of bio-father). My husband wants to adopt my son. Our child support payments/case is set up through county in Colorado. How can I easily get the adoption done? What forms do I need and where do I find them for bio-father to relinquish rights? I do understand fully that it would terminate child support payments.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheritune View Post
    How can I easily get the adoption done? What forms do I need and where do I find them for bio-father to relinquish rights?
    Hello C:

Easily?? Hire a lawyer. If the bio father contests, then a lawyer is the ONLY way. Besides, I would NEVER do this in HOPES that I filled out the forms right. These are people's lives and fortunes you're talking about here.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2010, 10:38 AM

There is no simple way to do this, If you have talked to the bio father and he agrees to sign over the rights, you will need to "HIRE" an attorney to do all the paper work for adoption and part of the adoption will be paper work to sign over his rights for the adoption.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2010, 04:02 PM

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Please take some time to learn how to use this site properly.

You say you want this as simple and as painless as possible. And that is because you are concerned for your son's welfare. But it seems that is actually the opposite. If you are concerned for your son's welfare then you want it done right. You want to make sure that everything is done in full compliance of the law. That is the ONLY way to ensure your son's welfare.

Adoption, even a step parent adoption, is not a simple matter. It is not a matter of simply filling out forms. You owe excon an apology for denigrating what was very good advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish my rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have full custody of my son and he became very abusive towards my wife and family so he went to live with his mother. While he was in her custody he got into a lot of trouble and we were told that if he came back to live with us and there was any problems that all we had to do was call the...

Relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My life partner and I have been together for 23 years. We are now ready to bring a child into our lives. We have chosen a dear friend to be the donor for artificial insemination. We have asked him to relinquish all rights including financial responsibility to which he has consented. What legal...

Relinquish rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do my daughter father give up his rights

Relinquish rights [ 2 Answers ]

How can I relinquish my rights as a parent and will I still have to pay child support

Relinquish rights [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a way to reliquish parental rights on a daughter that I do not see nor know. She is 3 years old and seen her once. I have my wages garnished by the state for child support because she receives the TANF assistance. I will never know my daughter. The mother now has a new husband. Can I...

View more questions Search