Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    havdiu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 03:46 AM
    When writing an Answer do you have to re-state each count/paragraph or just answer?
    I am wondering if I have to type the exact counts and paragraphs and then admit or deny each or can I just admit or deny to the number indicated?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2010, 04:55 AM

Depends on the court. To be on the safe side I would include each count in my answer.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 25, 2010, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by havdiu View Post
    I am wondering if I have to type the exact counts and paragraphs and then admit or deny each or can I just admit or deny to the number indicated?
    Something like this would probably work:

"In answer to the Complaint dated ____, Defendant [your name]
    1. Denies paragraph 1;
    2. Admits paragraph 2;
    3. Denies paragraph 3 for lack of information necessary to form a belief as to the truth of the allegations contained in said paragraph;
    etc."
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 07:26 AM

I have also seen "denies paragraph 1 concerning "X;" admits paragraph 1 concerning "X", X being a quote.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I have also seen "denies paragraph 1 concerning "X;" admits paragraph 1 concerning "X", X being a quote.
    Yes, one can go into great detail in the pleadings, but normally it doesn't matter much in the long run. Pleadings are anachronisms, for the most part. Most civil rules require discovery which explains in excruciating detail every aspect of your case.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 07:39 AM

I second the word "excruciating."
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 02:01 PM

And you can also add the "cute" language of

Defendant denies allegations contained in paragraph #1 and demands strict proof thereof.
    Kind of makes it hard for the Plaintiff as they have to prove the allegations.

One of my "pet" phrases I used to do all the time when I worked in law offices and had to draft up responses to complaints.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Sep 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post

Defendant denies allegations contained in paragraph #1 and demands strict proof thereof.
    Kinda makes it hard for the Plaintiff as they have to prove the allegations.

One of my "pet" phrases I used to do all the time when I worked in law offices and had to draft up responses to complaints.
    That language would make no difference whatsoever and it would make the op sound like he had no idea what he was doing.

You can admit or deny each paragraph or you can basically have just 3 responsive paragraphs:

1. Defendant admits the allegations contained in paragraphs... (list them).

2. Defendant denies the allegations contained in paragraphs... (list them)

3. Defendant denies knowledge sufficient to form a belief as to the allegations in paragraphs... (list them).

Technically you don't even need #1, as any unanswered paragraph is deemed an admission, but most attornies do it that way.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post

Kinda makes it hard for the Plaintiff as they have to prove the allegations.

I smile when I see this - I guess "strict" proof is a higher standard than "unstrict proof."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics question... with answer, yet I don't know how to get the answer. [ 2 Answers ]

In order to qualify for the finals in a racing event, a car must achieve an average speed of 270 Km/h on a track with a total length of 1410 m. If a particular car covers the first half of the track at an average speed of 232 km/h, what minimum average speed must it have in the second half of the...

Unclear of what paragraph #'s to answer on Summons for breach of contract for credit [ 1 Answers ]

I live in San Diego, CA and wish to answer a summons for breach of contract for a credit card. I am unsure of which paragraphs need to be answered. For instance, 1. Venue is proper in this county and judicial district due to Defendants' residence therein. 2. The true names and capacitis of...

Not Much Time! 7 Days To File Out Of State Answer For Old GA Credit Card Lawsuit! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am in a bind and need advice immediately. :( I received a notice from a credit agency named Georgia Receivables, INC. Assignee of First USA Bank NA Partners around mid June (the date on the notice was June 13th), although I wasn't sure what it was until I found the letter...

View more questions Search