Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omgkatie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Employer paid taxes being paid by employee
    I started with a new company as an employee
    I am a loan officer
    I wanted to be an independent contractor as I have always been that in the past but they said I could not do so
    They are now requiring me to pay the employer taxes (FICA 6.2%, Medicare 1.45%, Fed/state unemployment 1% and 4.35% for payroll processing, 401k match, har/admin, state and local taxes) as well as my normal employee taxes.
    They also charge an accountng admin fee on each transaction I do.
    Is this legal?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 11:46 AM

You're asking if requiring you to pay the your portion of FICA is legal? Of course - to do otherwise would be illegal. The good news is that your employer is paying half of your total SS tax, whereas if you were a self-employed contractor you would have to pay the full amount yourself. As for them charging you for payrol processing and a transaction fee - that I can't answer to. Do you have an employment contract that specifies this?

Sep 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
    No I am asking why am I paying their portion as well as mine. They are having me pay both portions employee and employer.
    Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 01:39 PM

So they're taking out 12.9% for Social security plus 2.9% for medicaire from your paycheck (i.e. both employer's and employee's portions), and that's what it says on your pay stub? That makes no sense at all. Please confirm that this is what they're doing.

Also, I'm wondering if perhaps you are actually an employee of a "body shop" which bills the client for your services, and in turn pays you, and that what you are talking about is how much the body shop keeps from their billing of the client?

Sep 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Yes! Both employers and employee portions!
    No a loan officer
    Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 02:38 PM

omgkatie: Let me ask again - are you by any chance employed by a company that bills clients for your services? And are these deductions that you've mentioned deductions that your employer took from the amount they billed the client before paying you?

Sep 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    No they do not bill for my services. I market and attract clients who need loans and then I do loans for those clients. The bank (whichever bank we broker to) pays a commission to my employer who then takes out expenses from there.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 03:04 PM

You said:

"No they do not bill for my services. I market and attract clients who need loans and then I do loans for those clients. The bank (whichever bank we broker to) pays a commission to my employer who then takes out expenses from there."

So you're complaint is that your employer takes out too much from the commission you earn them before paying you, right? It's not really a matter of you having to pay the employer's portion of SS - they do, but they do it by taking it as expenses against the commission you earned for them. It may seem like a nuance, but in reality they're paying the employer's SS tax, not you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes when paid by check but employer did not withhold taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small business and they do not have me on the "books" - meaning they are not paying pay roll taxes or deducting taxes from my paycheck. They pay me every two weeks by check. I'm worried now I have been here for a year and it's time to file my taxes. I do not have a W2 form with them...

Checking if taxes are being paid by employer [ 2 Answers ]

My employer lost his EIN number but still shows that he is paying our taxes to the IRS. Is this possible and is there any place I can check to make sure this is happening

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

Employers never paid employee taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

My former employers closed their business 12/31/2007. During 2007 my fellow employees and I received pay checks with stubs indicating proper taxes were deducted. It is now March 2008 and we (the employees) have still not received our W-2's. I have tried to contact my former employers by every...

Can employer take out taxes if I'm being paid 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

I know I'm responsible for my own taxes but my new employer wants to take out his taxes out of my commissions and also pay me via a 1099 does this sound right? Any advice would be very welcome

View more questions Search