Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anon333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Tax filing advice needed - married but living in 2 states + husband is now deployed
    My husband and I got married in June 2010. Prior to getting married, I lived in NYC and he lived in another state. After getting married, we still lived in separate states. Furthurmore, my husband deployed to a combat zone in August. How would we go about filing a tax return? Would we file MFJ along with a NY return as well as one with his domicile state and put my address as a home address? Should we claim his state as our home state (since in NYC there is double tax for state and city)?

I also heard that any income he earns while in a combat zone is tax free so how would we take care of that on the return? Do we just deduct whatever income he earned in a combat zone from his total income and only report that on his w-2?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 11:00 AM

If you have lived in NYC all year, and have only NY state income, and if your husband has lived in a different state all year, and has no NY state income, then:

1. For federal, file as MFJ.
    2. For NY State/City - file as MFS, and report only your income. Usually if you file jointly on your federal return you are required to file jointly on your state return as well, but there is an exception for couples who have not been residents of the same state at any time all year and where neither person has any income at all from the other person's state. Your husband would file as MFS in his home state as well.

You can not file as a resident of his state, because you are a resident of NYC. Yes, you pay both NY State and NYC resident tax on your income (not his), but that's the cost of living where you do.

As for combat pay - it is tax free if your husband is an enlisted soldier (not a commissioned officer). If he is an officer a portion of his combat zone pay is tax-free. His W2 should not include the tax-free combat pay. For further info see: Combat Zone Tax Exclusions - Military Benefits - Military.com
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Sep 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
    QUOTE," . . . but there is an exception for couples who have not been residents of the same state at any time all year and where neither person has any income at all from the other person's state. Your husband would file as MFS in his home state as well."----- Good point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

Tax question: Married living and working in different states (NY and NJ) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, your guidance with this question would be highly appreciate it. I live in NJ and work in NJ. My wife lives in NY and works in NY. She did not live in NJ for any part of the year. We plan to file as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) for federal taxes but we are not sure how the state taxes...

First year, married k-1 visa holder, filing advice needed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My son's wife arrived in US in June on k-1 visa. They married and once she got her green card, she started a small business. In her native country she worked from Jan to April and had taxes withheld. What's the best way for them to do their taxes? Should she file as resident alien? ...

H1B Husband, F1/OPT Wife, Living in Different States, Tax Confusion [ 5 Answers ]

Hello tax experts, Its been a while since I posted any questions to this forum. This forum is one of the best for tax questions and I appreciate the time taken by all of you answering these questions. You are the best. I am in the following situation now and confused about filing 2008 taxes...

Filing taxes married living different states [ 1 Answers ]

I am relocating to Boston MA and my husband is a retired federal employee who pays federal taxes residing in Puerto Rico. In PR we file separately. {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

View more questions Search