Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murtdoll Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Child visitation
    My son has a 4 year old daughter with an ex-girlfriend. He pays court ordered child support and keeps medical insurance on his daughter. His ex-girlfriend will not let him see his daughter or take her anywhere unless he takes his ex-girlfriend with him. He is engaged to be married and has a daughter with his soon to be wife. This has made his ex mad. She tries to control his life, will not let him see his daughter unless he does what she wants. He has refused to live his life by her standards so she is trying to get him to sign his rights away. He has heard this from her even before the child was born. He really doesn't want to drag his daughter through a court battle. What should he do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by murtdoll
    He really doesn't want to drag his daughter through a court battle. What should he do?
    Hello murt:

Of course he doesn't. But his four year old daughter won't be dragged into court. His ex girlfriend will.

The only way he's going to be able to maintain his relationship with his daughter is if the court forces the mother to let him. He should be quick about it. They grow up very fast.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Excon is completely right, the girl is normally not even in court, she is basically too young to testify at this point and courts don't want children in them to distrub them.

So if the child is there, she will have to be with someone outside the court room anyway. ( most likely)

But this court issue is just a continuing of the separation agreement and the child support agreements, when one party does not follow the rules,
    ( I will assume there is listed days of visitation, if not there needs to be)

So on the 1 and 3 weekends and on so and on week at christmas and in so and so week in the summer he gets the child, Have the court spell it out specificly.

And if she does not allow it, you talk her back to court and back to court.

Please understand it is not uncommom to end up back in court ever year or two till the children are 18 over some issue from one side or the other.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 10:48 AM
    It's not so much a case of dragging his daughter through a court battle. At age 4 it'll hardly impact her. But he needs to take the mother to court to get an order of visitation established since she won't let him see her otherwise. Having a judge spell out the terms of visitation just may put a damper on the mother's controlling tendencies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child Visitation [ 5 Answers ]

My Husband Has A Two Year Old Daughter. He And The Child's Mother Both Agreed To Have This Child, This Was Something They Wanted Together. When His Daughter Was Born He Saw Her Up Until She Was 3 Months Old. Then Her Mother Began To Become Very Controlling, Probably Because They Weren't Together...

How can I adopt a child (not my biological child) from my ex [ 2 Answers ]

When I met my ex, she has a 2 yrs old child. While we were married, the child start to think of me as his dad and I've kept that relationship even after our divorce. Now, we are divorced, but the child is with me and my ex and has never seen his biological father. My ex is feeling sick now, and...

View more questions Search