Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k9bite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 05:56 AM
    A school math contest requires that students complete all 12 problems on the contest
    A school math contest requires that students complete all 12 problems on the contest exam. Each participant receives 5 points for each correctly solved problem and loses 3 points for each incorrect or omitted answer.
    a. How many problems wer solved correctly by a student who receives a score of 36>
    b. What is the minimum number of problems that participants must answer correctly to receive a positive score?
    c. Provide an expression that can be used to determine the score for each participant.

I hate that I am having trouble helping my son with his math. I just can't afford a tutor. It's a shame that with all of this math that they are teaching now kids can't balance a checkbook or make change at McDonald's any more.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 08:43 AM

You can name two different variables.

x - number of correctly answers.
    y - number of incorrectly/omitted answers.

The total number of problems is 12, hence, x + y = 12.

1. Then, for the marks to exceed 36, you get:

5x - 3y > 36

5x because these will sum up to the marks awarded for correct answers and -3y because this will amount up to the sum for negative marking. Solve using the two equations.

2. For this part, a positive score will be obtained when:

5x - 3y > 0

3. You should be able to guess this by now. :)

Post what you get! :)
    kookspook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
    No offense to ever tried to solve this problem, but you are way off. I have no clue what you are doing but for future references, here's the correct answer.
    There is 12 questions that equal 5 points each if answered correctly, leaving you with a total of 60 possible points (5x12=60)
    If a question is missed or omitted you get a penalty. Not only do you not get the 5 points but you also miss an extra 3 points added to it, which means you get a -8 points for each problem missed.
    If you miss one question (60-8) you get a 52.
    If you miss another questions (52-8) you get a 44.
    If you miss another questions (44-8) you get a 36.
    Bully made a 36, which means he missed 3 problems.
    12-3=9
    Bully got 9 problems correct.
    You can use an actual equation here but this is better understood written out when teaching it to kids.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kookspook View Post
    No offense to ever tried to solve this problem, but you are way off. ...
    First - this question is 2-1/2 years old, so it's way out of date.

Second - Unknown008's approach is perfectly correct. He uses a different approach than yours and he left he final steps to the OP to complete, but his method gets to the same result of there being 9 correct answers and 3 incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I contest a Judgment for School Debt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm trying to find out how I can contest a judgment for school debt. I believe this is considered a default judgment, as I never received a summons or any other documents from New York State. I found the information on my credit file, and want to see what options I have. I left a SUNY...

Contest a will [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am from Rumania. A week before we understood that my father-in-law's cousin has died at NY. He was an american citizen with no children and close relatives. He made a will giving all to a NGO in Rumania. He is in dept of his uncle (my father-in-law's father) who helped him. What we can...

Contest a will? [ 8 Answers ]

If you live with someone and they have a lawyer draw up a will leaving me 1/3 of His house upon his death can his 2 children fight that?

No contest divorce [ 4 Answers ]

If my wife and I have basically agreed on all the terms of a no contest divorce than why do I have to still pay and attorney $2000 dollars to setlle this issue for me

Contest a will? [ 6 Answers ]

My moms dad married a woman 4 yrs ago she says he's leaving everything to her and she is selling it all does my mom have the right to contest his will for a share of his property?

View more questions Search