Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarth92sharma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
    Cycloid path of charged particle in electric and magnetic field..
    Please anyone can explain me the cycloid path of a charged particle in mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic field..
    I have a lot of confusion over it...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 02:14 AM

I'm confused about what you are asking here...

In an electric field, a charged particle would make a parabolic path, along the field lines.

In a magnetic field, a charged particle would make a circular path perpendicular to the field lines.

In a cross field (electric and magnetic field mutually at right angles), if the force due to either fields cancel out the other, the particle will pass through the field undeviated. If one force exceeds the other, then the particle will move according to the overriding force (ie. Circular if it's magnetic force and parabolic if it's electric force.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Particle moves un-deflected, with uniform motion, through an electric field. [ 3 Answers ]

Question: Explain the circumstances that enable a particle to move un-deflected, with uniform motion, through an electric field, if it is given an initial velocity perpendicular to the electric field. What I have so far: So I know that normally in an electric field which the particle is...

Help with electric and magnetic fields? [ 1 Answers ]

In a linear accelerator, protons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference to a speed of 3.1 10^6 m/s. The resulting proton beam produces a current of 2x10^-6 A. a) determine the potential difference through which the protons were accelerated. b) If the beam is stopped in a target,...

Electro magnetic field induced power. [ 4 Answers ]

My power line from my meter to the electric panel runs in a pvc conduit with several house wires from the old panel box.This was apparently done several years ago during a remodel. Since I have owned this house my electric usage has been 3 times the average for this size home. My question is can...

Charged object with mass in uniform electric field. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to relate these things together? Uniform electric field (given) Charged object (charge given) in that electric field w/a mass... must be found when the object is "floating" on the field ...

View more questions Search