Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 05:12 AM
    Finally talked wife into it!
    RickJ is a proud poppa again. I'm so happy I just can't resist showing him off. My sons are very excited about their new brother - but my daughters don't quite share the same enthusiasm yet. I think they'll come around though. Haven't thought of a name yet; I'm thinking about Reggie.

It's a Ball Python. Rick is in 7th heaven.
    Attached Images

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Sure they're when they're small but...

:)
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Hehe, they get up to 4 feet long.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 29, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Aww yay for Rick...

You're a nail biter! Haha

Awesome snake though
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Funny you mention that. I quit biting my nails 3-4 times a year, but then I lose it and chomp them all off again. A wicked habit it is!

Yes, awesome snake! Today I'll be off to the store to pick up some cool stuff for his home. He ate the day before yesterday so I have to wait for the thrill of watching him eat.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 06:03 AM
    A little mouse for the baby?
    roogirl Posts: 69, Reputation: 18

Dec 29, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Wow what a gorgeous snake, lovely patterns. Reggie sounds good. I have a pic with a children's python called Cuddles wrapped around me - I can understand why he is called Cuddles.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Dec 29, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Hi Rick! Nice "addition to the family"! Even though it is not cute or fuzzy!:p

What do you keep the "little bundle of joy" in? A glass cage? (Sorry... don't know much about snakes as pets).
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 07:02 AM
    I have a 40 gallon aquarium for it. Yes, it will eat mice; just about once a week, though - so I won't bother with "keeping" mice. I'll just pick one up from the store once a week.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Nice snake! I once owned a common Boa. I didn't really know how to feed it so after about three months I started feeding it full sized RATS! In two years, it was humongus! It got so big that I began to fear it.
    One day, it was on my shoulder and I wasn't paying much attention to it when I realized it had wrapped around my neck and was squeezing tighter and tighter. I couldn't get enough leverage to pry it loose and I was starting to need some air. I busted out of the door and into the street, staggering and pleading with someone to please help me. Children beagn screaming and running away, I chased them begging for help in a choked, raspy whisper. They just screamed louder and ran faster.
    I spotted a lady watering her yard so I headed in her direction. She turned and faced me as I came to within four feet of her, screaming, she sprayed me with horror filling her face. The snake bolted from the cold water and loosened its grip just enough for me to get a better hold and pull it loose, enough to gasp in urgently needed, life giving air.
    The mail man had watched in horror as the events transpired. He decided to help me and within a few short minutes, I was free of the snakes crushing grip.
    Nice snake Rick. :cool:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Beautiful snake Rick.

We had a corn snake recently and we named him Colonel.

Glad the wife gave in.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Looks like a female, is it?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 29, 2006, 03:39 PM
    I looked on YouTube,and saw pythons doing all sorts of nasty things,none of which could be posted here.So instead,I thought this might send a shiver down your spine. :D
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Yeaaa! I just gots ta have me one of them! YIKES!
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Hehe, yep, pretty teeth they've got, huh :)

I picked the Ball Python because of their easy disposition. Also, as a general rule, they don't "bite" things. They kill things by squeezing them to death. Those teeth are not meant to penetrate, they're just meant to stop whatever critter they've caught for dinner from getting away - until they can get their body around it to give it a big hug.

... then when they're getting it down the gullet they manipulate their mouth so that those teeth push the yummy down their throat.

I can't wait until next week to watch it in action!
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 29, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Heya I recognize that picture, I believe the snake was actually electrocuted on that fence... thats why it was biting it...

I like snakes well enough, but I don't think I could ever have one as a pet.

A friend of my moms, her husband caught a rattle snake, and has been keeping it in a tank in his garage... yes I know its illegal, but he's all stoked about it. His poor wife and daughters are so scared and fed up they were trying to think of ways to get rid of it. She was thinking of hooking a hose from the muffler to the tank and making the snake die that way... but her husband would be PISSED if he knew she did anything. I think one of the daughters finally called animal services as a 'neighbor' and they came and got the snake... lol.

Ok that was just my snake story, ciao!
    sadiesmom Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Dec 30, 2006, 07:56 PM
    He is a handsome lad!
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 10:37 AM
    We fed Reggie for the first time last night.

Too Cool!!

We put the mouse in his home and he didn't seem to care. We thought "Oh Crap, this will be one of those finiky snakes that wants frozen food or something"...

Then my son picked up the mouse and dangled it in front of Reggie's face and he snatched that mouse in the blink of an eye!

Watching him work that thing down was awesome!

... shhh, don't tell PETA :p
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jan 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Awsome snake... wish I could talk the hubby into letting me have one... maybe... or a dog
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 05:04 AM
    The snake will be far less maintenance than a dog. I don't have to walk it and it only eats and poops once a week...

My kids have guinea pigs that are a royal pain in the butt. They stink - and they eat and poop a lot. Cleaning out the cage is a pain. I've got indoor-outdoor carpet in the bottom of the snake home so when he poops, I'll just take it out, hose it off and put it back in.

I've had him 8 days now and he hasn't even pooped yet.

Low maintenance is nice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She loves me and its been 3 weeks since we talked [ 15 Answers ]

Hey, Here's my situation. I've been dating this awesome girl(27, and I'm 26) for almost 3 years now. We met and started friends in 2002. When we started dating everything was prefect! We spent so much quality time together. Then about a year ago I started looking for my own place and...

I talked to him... told him everything [ 50 Answers ]

I followed everyone's advice and spoke to him about everything even telling him that I don't trust him and I feel so much better besides feeling exhausted! I brought up instances that I remember very clearly and his response was:- Shocked! But, as its all of a sexual nature, he said that he...

Finally! [ 5 Answers ]

Finally I got my wish. We're PREGNANT! Yay for me! So basically yea, all those of you who are trying, just keep your chins up and it will happen. :D

Finally its over [ 4 Answers ]

Well Rainier, I wanted to bring you up to date, one thing you last sad, I was lonely, like my mother in law, well let me tell you I am not lonely at all. I finally walked right out the door, I didn't look back, I came home and had a good job in a week. God bless me there. I am looking for a...

View more questions Search