Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popstar1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
    My cats tail won't heal after surgery
    The vets say my cat poppy has had a really bad shunt by a car which has left her with a paralised tail. After the tail was amputated it was healing fine till I woke up to the remake of chain saw massacre after relising she had got her collar off. Another visit to the vet and another operation to remove even more of her tail great we thought. Over the weekend this terrible smell was about her so I took of her collar so she could clean herself, only the smell didn't go away so it was back to the vets. After examining poppy they said her skin was rotting and didn't know why! They removed the dead skin along with stitches cleaned the area and said to clean daily. My concern was that they have left poppy with an open wound! Why did they reoperate and charge me for the privilege after she was so proud of her tail mutilation abilities. After another check up they say get tail is healing nicely but gave me cream to aid the healing near her anus as it is damp there from toileting. After bathing and applying crean for a week the scab has come off again to leave an open wound once more... They can't take anymore off the tail as it is to near the original injury. My questions are will it ever heal with no other medical intervention and how long will it take?
    Kassie and Poppy Pop Star
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 02:55 PM

How long was the cone off the last time before you took her back to the vet? Letting her clean it would inhibit the ability to heal and if anything, cause more infection.
    Has your cat been on antibiotics at all? She should.
    If that hasn't worked, they really should send out a swab of the area for a culture to make sure what they are using is working.

Sep 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
    I only took it of for ten minute so she could clean her bottom half. She had anitbiotics on the first op and on the second op they gave her a three week one. We have only been using the cream since Friday last 17th September. We have also been through the emotional roller coaster of their being a possibility she would lose complete control of her bladder and bowel motions, I am *** to say that area is improving ten fold.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:29 PM

So it is improving?
    Then maybe she's on the road to recovery. If it continues to not heal, or get worse, make sure they do a culture. Sometimes some strains of bacteria are resistant to certain antibiotics.

Sep 22, 2010, 03:36 PM
    I here what you are saying. My only concern now is if the open wound will heal naturally and how long! I know that is like asking how long is a piece of string but she is such a sprited cat and has had the cone on for four weeks now. I am worried about how much quality of live she is having as she loves going outside and hasn't been able too.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:42 PM

It may heal naturally, but it may not if there is a bacterium in there like MRSA (or others). If it has been four weeks I'd be worried about a resistant bacterium in there that isn't allowing healing to take place.

Sep 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Comment on Sariss's post
    Thanks Sariss you have been a great help. Needed to ask someone as we have seen 7 vets and non of them are singing off the same song sheet.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:59 PM

Just an added note to Sariss's good advice about the antibiotics.

As for her quality of life, do keep in mind that as long as it does heal, this is only temporary, and while it may be very annoying to her, the best way to get her back to herself and the life she likes, is doing whatever is necessary now to get her healing properly. If you try to avoid things that need to be done for this reason, it can just drag out that much longer.

So just pull out the tough love and do whatever needs to be done. This may include not removing that cone, keeping her contained, maybe try using shredded paper in the litter box to avoid getting litter in it, etc. In the long-run she's not going to hate you for it.

(reoperate and charge me for the privilege -- I know that's not funny, but it was funny the way you said it :))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cats tip of tail moving [ 3 Answers ]

Tip of cats tail moving, cat very lethargic not eating, drinking little water

Why won't my belly button ring heal? [ 0 Answers ]

So I got this navel piercing about a year ago and it never fully healed. Sometimes it would be perfectly fine and look great but sometimes it would just start hurting and turn a little red and something that looked like "guts" would come out of the bottom and just stay there for about a week until...

Won't allow cats [ 3 Answers ]

I want a kitten but my parents won't let me have one and I don't know why I need some advice

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search